Thread: Bear spray on moose

Default Bear spray on moose

Bear spray on moose

Anyone have any experiance? Did it work?

That stuff is brutal I tested mine (to know how to use it) and got a very very faint dose of a tiny blast that had disspaited. I hear it is 50 times as powerfull as human pepper spray. I truely cannot believe you could get sprayed and not loose some of your eyesite!

I cannot imagine any animal not being blind and "shocked" I know it you incapacitate me, blind and in pain and not be able to think.

Seems like it would work on a moose but I am hoping for some real life experiances.

While moose (especially cows with calves) can sometimes be aggressive toward humans, not sure you'd ever want to try bear spray on them. For one, since they stand so tall, there is a lot more chance the spray is gonna get back to you. For two, it could affect a cow, for example, to where she can't take care of or defend her calves. For three, it may not even be legal.

Default I wouldn't think

he was talking about "testing" the spray on a moose. if a cow was getting ready to stomp or kick you to defend a calf, would the spray be a better option than a gun?
    I can't imagine that it wouldn't have an effect on anything it was used on.
    Gary

you might want to do a search. I seem to recall this being discussed before with the conclusion that it does work.

Thumbs up

Yes, it works on anything that walks. Mushers carry it and so do several snowmachiners, in winter, when the bears are sleeping.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Actually

Most bear sprays aren't as powerful as you think. Most of them are between 2%-5% oleoresin capsicum. Where as Law Enforcement oleoresin capsicum is between 10%-15%. I think the reason that bear spray is as powerful as everyone thinks is because of dosage volume rather than actual content. Just some food for thought .

Rob

Default spray - phooey

My first summer here in AK - I had a blackie - a small blackie - on a fishing trail eating a salmon. I had a pistol and some udap. I had never used udap before. The blackie was not aggressive, but curious. Very very slight wind towards mr. bear - I had the pistola out and ready - in case the majic spray didn't work.

I unlatched the safety and aimed with great detail with a fully extended arm - at this bear that was about 12 yards away (stepped off later) - I pulled the hammer on the udap and let er rip. Wooosh -the spray emitted a nice pattern that just reached that mean ole bar - the bear took a whiff - scooted back about 10 yards - then immediately came back to his salmon carcass.

I pack my pistol now - I am a bad shot and don't practice near enough with it - but i will take it over pepper spray when my life depends on it.

PS, you want that mapping program back - I could never get it working!

There was a story here in the last year or so of a member ending a moose attack w/ bear spray. According to his story it was VERY effective. He did call the troopers and report the incident. Interesting note is that the trooper gave him the third degree over using the spray, inferring that he may have broken the law. As I recall no charges were filed and the trooper did document the extensive damage that the moose had done to the mans truck (he was hiding under it) prior to the deployment of the spray.
    In my experience moose issues can usually be avoided just by backing away but if that failed then I believe that bear spray would be a far more effective way of ending the confrontation than a firearm especially in an inhabited area where the bullet may injure a bystander.

Default Pepper Spray on blackies

I have heard that pepper spray is not as effective against black bears as it is on brown/griz, although I admit that I was unable to find a solid reference. When I first heard it, I was told it was because of the composition of the saliva on their noses. Anybody hear this or have any supporting / refuting references?

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default I have used cases of the stuff over the years

in my experiences....it worked well on all bears....wolves (when sprayed in the face) but my one experience with a moose was it painted its nose orange and pissed it off. But then again, that is just my experiences.

Sounds good! Moose, Bears and Wolves

My only experiance is that it makes it much easier to kick drunks back outta the house and down the steps...~~LOL!!~~.....and so far, they dont come back, either.

Great stuff.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

It'll stop a Holstein bull in it's tracks. I have a buddy that hunts turkeys (with permission) on a couple dairy farms. Bear spray has proven very effective on aggressive bulls. No reason it wouldn't work on a moose.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Sounds good! Moose, Bears and Wolves

My only experiance is that it makes it much easier to kick drunks back outta the house and down the steps...~~LOL!!~~.....and so far, they dont come back, either.

Great stuff.
    Now that there is funny. What makes it so funny is that I believe you.

This past summer i was at my budies place outside Homer. i was going to go for a short walk. I did not take my .454... SILLY ME. I got 35ft from his camper at the end of the driveway and started down the road. Out of the ditch comes a cow. She got on the gravel road took one look at me and threw her ears back and came running. I turned around and started to run. I wiped out on the gravel and thought i was going to get pummeled. Well she stopped when i fell. My buddies heard me shout when i turned to run and they came with the dogs. Well 2 labs and a chessy took on the moose.She took off and that ended it but i will NEVER be caught without my .454 again.

watched some biologists tranq a bison on a show about Yellowstone bison herds, they walked up to it and a protective bull circled back to defend the downed cow. They blasted it in the face with spray and it beat feet, which was actually pretty funny, so i don't see why it wouldn't work on a moose in a self-defense situation.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Smile capsicum !

I do not know how it works on moose, bears, porkupines or snakes, since I have never sprayed them. I do how ever have considerable experience when it comes to seeing how it works on humans. So much depends on the attitude of the creature you are "spraying", how close you are and how many "scoville units" your "pepper spray" has. Not all pepper sprays are created equal. The more "scoville units", the hotter the pepper spray. So I am sure if a moose or bear would hold still at close range and let you deliver a good dose up their nostrils and in their eyes they would run some where. If they were mad and running at you then who knows, each circumstance would be different, just like it is with humans. It works best when you are with in a few feet of the target and it gets a good dose in their eyes, up their nose and they are not full of adrenalin. Although it beats cussing at them in my opinion it can't be relied on like a well constructed big bullet! I don't like it and driving home with it in your hair, eyes and on your clothes is a pain in the butt. So much for "friendly fire"!

Unhappy My dog

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Bear spray on moose

Anyone have any experiance? Did it work?

That stuff is brutal I tested mine (to know how to use it) and got a very very faint dose of a tiny blast that had disspaited. I hear it is 50 times as powerfull as human pepper spray. I truely cannot believe you could get sprayed and not loose some of your eyesite!

I cannot imagine any animal not being blind and "shocked" I know it you incapacitate me, blind and in pain and not be able to think.

Seems like it would work on a moose but I am hoping for some real life experiances.
    My 6 1/2 month old lab got my spray off of the window sill when I wasnt home And was chewing on it on my bed and discharged it in my bedroom. I got a bloody nose after beeing in the place for ten minutes. I was homeless for three days while having to clean or wash every peice of fabric in the house. All while sneezing, caughing, gaging,,, crying and, burning every mucus membrane in my head. And it was only two small squirts onto my top blanket. Saturated the whole place. Somehow the dog came out fine but it was a pretty miserable claen up deal for me. Had to throw away a few items.