Thread: synthetic stock use

Default synthetic stock use

Hey everyone:

Am curious how many folks in Alaska use a synthetic stock versus wood. I'm thinking of having my CZ done by MPI and then if I like it having a duplicate made in walnut for fair weather use. Looking for opinions.
    Thanks!

Jeff

Default Synthetic

I'm not a resident but I do hunt Alaska on a regular basis.

Every rifle I own has a stainless barrel and synthetic stock. All the stocks are McMillan because they make a nice, left-handed stock.

Yep, I started with wood & blued barrels. I will never own one again just as I will never own a black & white TV again. For me (who hates cleaning rifles and sharpening knives) there is only 1 way to go. I haven't tried the newest Savage rifles yet but they have an interesting concept in producing glas-bedded rifles.

Of course it helps to have a buddy who is a part-time gunsmith and is willing to work for free.

I vote for synthetic stocks.

Default all synth for me

I'm with Phil on this one. Everything I own in stainless/synth. Wood is pretty, but I hunt with my guns, and I don't hunt in a pillow store. So my guns get scratched and bumped, and I have even dropped my rifle before. If I had a beautiful wood stock, I would concentrate more on keeping it nice rather than spotting game. The stainless is nice especially if your hunting on the coast. I've seen blued guns rust after 1 day. You still have to take care of your stainless, but it is much more forgiving.

The thing to do is get what you want.Stainless guns and plastic stocks have been around over sixty years now and blue or brown and wood sence it all started so just do what suits you as its your gun.

Agree with Phil, even more so because I am a lefty. The only rifles I own that carry wood stocks are rimfires or my double rifles.
    McMillans rock. MPI's arent to bad either.
    Tennessee

I go with wood.

Its COLD here, and thats a major factor.
    Ever had a synthetic stock freeze to your face at -30? I had a Ruger 10/22 put a big ol' burn on mine, once.........once.

Also had a Plastic stock shatter in the cold when I bounced it off the foot rails on my snowgo........

Wood wont freeze to skin. I can cut/ alter a wooden stock to fit me perfectly. Remington 700's loose their cheek/comb and get shortend around here. Have to remove the cheek/comb, so a guy can actually use the iron sights.
    We also wear alotta clothes in Winter as well as skimasks and beaver hats, so that much more "Cheek Room" on the stock is well appreciated, as well as shortening the stock so it fits "Right" with a winter parkee, and be able to get a proper hold and quick sight aquisition witha firm cheek weld.

You can also shave wood from the stock to start a fire in an emergency.

Wood stocks can be repaired by most "Handy men" at home.

However, the Finns did it right with the M-39 Mosin nagant, and I leave its wood alone.

I'm not against plastic, just dont have a use for em when its Cold...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

"You can also shave wood from the stock to start a fire in an emergency"

I like it ..... and my old hunting partner used to carry a wood stocked gun!!! Yea, I used to kid him about carrying emergency fire wood around when we hunted, much to his chagrin!!
    All of my hunting rifles are syn and most are also SS .... only makes sense for backpack hunting and frequent inclement weather.

Default stainless / synthetic

The only guns that I have that aren't stainless / Synthetic is an old Winchester model 94 and my grandfather's old Winchester model 12.

Smile I have one...

My custom Mod. 70 .338 wears a Bansners Hi Tech synthetic stock. It weighs about 20 ounces. It is a good synthetic stock. It is how ever the only synthetic stock I have ever owned in 44 years of Alaskan hunting. So is it needed and does a guy have to have one to hunt Alaska? Nope. But, they are in style and here to stay.

Default I am a stubborn one....

I love wood/blued bolt action rifles! I refused to go synthetic/stainless. I was just going to take better care of my rifle than all these nay-sayers! Long story short, I ended up with a rusty gun with a broke stock that was once a beautiful Model 70. I now have a synthetic/stainless for hunting in AK. I am not saying you can't get away with blue/wood, But I believe on average, it takes a colony of army ants longer to move in than rust in Alaska.

Thanks to all - I appreciate the feedback. I have spoken with Doc at MPI quite a bit and he is willing to build a synthetic stock with the cast on I require as well as a little drop at the heel if need be to get the fit right. i've also spoken to the folks at lone wolf and they have a stock built for the bigger actions called the stalker that may be worth looking at for others.

thanks again.

Jeff

Default To: Lost By Choice

It takes a good/brave man to admit when he is wrong (especially on this forum). Congratulations!!!