Thread: Moose/Caribou hunt for Aug. 2010 Gear list

Default Moose/Caribou hunt for Aug. 2010 Gear list

I am going on a float hunt Aug. 2010 and am putting together a gear list. I added links of the gear I have found so far. This list is for just the personal gear that I am buying. I will be renting some of the big items since I live outside the country.

Pack-Barney’s Pinnacle Pack with frame (No website)
    Tent- REI Mountain 3 http://www.rei.com/product/739349
    Sleeping Bag- Wiggys Super Light
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=64&CFID=560563&CFTOKEN=939 34723
    Sleeping Pad- http://www.rei.com/product/708523
    Bottom Layer- If it is cold http://www.rei.com/product/754890
    http://www.rei.com/product/770915
    If it is warm then I will have my Under armor compression shorts and a shorter sleeve shirt.
    Mid Layer- Wool or Fleece jacket
    Top Layer- Impertech II Bibs & Jacket
    Boots- http://www.rei.com/product/781681 Looking at the La Sportiva’s because I have heard good things from this brand. The trusty USMC boots are getting thin. Time to get some new ones.
    Socks- Wool
    Stove- Looking for a single burner as all I will do is cook up dehydrated food/boil water.

I will add to the list but this is a basic layout. I also realize that I could take more since it is a float hunt but I am a minimalist with most things I do. I do not like to take a crap load of stuff because that is more stuff I have to keep track of.

And advice or things you see flaws in let me know. Also since I am months away I haven’t purchased a lot of this stuff so if someone sees a cheaper route let me know as well!!

Thanks
    B

Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    Stove- Looking for a single burner as all I will do is cook up dehydrated food/boil water.
    I have a JetBoil, and I've been completely satisfied with it.

While talking with some about the jet boil is it is expensive to fly the canisters. I am from the lower 48 and if I buy them in IN then to ship them up it will be expensive and a lot of flight services won't fly them. How do you get them out into the field if you are getting dropped off out in the middle of BFE.

Default Jetboil canisters

From what i have read... Usually people buy canisters up here in AK and then when you fly out into the bush, the pilot puts all the hazmat material in a seperate location such as in the float or a different compartment.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I have never had an air service refuse to fly jet boil canisters out. I usually buy them from where I am leaving. I arranged to get some in Bethal one year. There's a place in Kodiak that has them. Planning ahead will help insurer fuel may be available. There are some places where it will be difficult. Personally I don't know of anywhere in Kotz that has them but you never know.

Basic first aid kit
    Water filter
    Game bags to include rubber gloves
    Head net, the bugs will drive you insane
    tarp for covering the meat pole, keeps the sun off and protects from rain
    gloves to protect your hands while paddling/rowing the raft

If you have the extra room, i would add some Muck boots or Laccrosse Alpha Burleys. Or at least some kind of hip wader or chest wader. If you are going on a float hunt, there is always the chance you will shoot something and it will end up in water.

I like wool socks, but i would suggest using some kind of synthetic sock becuase of thier ability to keep your feet cool. My feet always seem to boil with wool socks.

Check out Sierra Trading post, you might be able to find some of the gear you are looking for a lot cheaper than REI sells it.

Good call B-radford.

You beat me to it. I too couldn't ever get on the water without some hip waders or at least....knee high rubber boots.

A couple of things to consider adding to your list.

Pillow, never leave home without one.
    Hip waders, preferably the breathable kind but the LaCrosse Big Chiefs work great too.
    Water Filtration system and a collapsible 5 gallon water jug.
    2 sets of game bags, preferably the TAG bags.
    Base layers in Smartwool along with socks.
    Impertech rain gear
    Sunglasses
    I would try and go with a bit wider sleeping pad, I tend to roll of those narrower one's
    2 good pair of leather gloves for rowing and another set of warm gloves for hunting

Get Mike Strahans book on float hunting Alaska. It is for sale in the forum store and is a great resource. Forget cannister stoves. Get a MSR Whisperlite Internationale and burn white gas which all bush towns have. Shoot me a pm if you have any float trip questions. In that PM, send me your email address and I will forward you some float trip specific info. More than you will likely want to read. My wife and I float a different river each year, most often in arctic NW flyfishing for dollies. Just a great way to see Alaska. I have experiened nothing else like it man. Happy to share any info I can that would be of use to you. Below are some pics from our recent trips.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/

Thanks for your service!

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I will update the info on the first page.

I have Mike's book and he is assisting me with planning a hunt as well. I just posted up here because I feel its always good to hear others opinions.

Thanks Dan PM sent.

If your just boiling water use a Jetboil, no pumping fuel lines or any of that junk. If your flying out of Fairbanks or Anchorage on a air charter you won't have any issues with the cannisters, it's when you fly with Alaska Airlines or ERA or other airlines that you will have issues. I use either a single burner propane stove or a Jetboil, the type of food I bring will determine which stove I need.

I will be flying from Fairbanks out to Bettles or Kotzebou. I know to Bettles it will be Wrights service. I heard they won't allow the tanks. Not sure who will take me out to Kotzebou. Hmmmm that makes me wonder. I might just keep the isobutane stove I have then. I also thought about just returning the Isobutane stove and just getting a little single burner Coleman propane stove.

Folks all have things that they like, but sometimes *forget* the little things that can make or break a trip. Item you should consider, but are often over looked include: a small tarp, neatly folded in the bottom of your pack (can be used to keep meat clean, an emergency shelter, and a way to keep you dry); a small roll of duct tape that fits in my shirt pocket squashed down (to many uses to list); a roll of parachute cord; pocket pack of Baby Wipes; cold water soap sold at any sporting goods section in a small green tube the size of a small tooth paste tube...other than the tarp, everything listed can fit in a shirt pocket and they are worth more than gold in the field IMHO
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Here is my word format gear list. It goes a little more into detail of the small things.
    Attached Files Attached Files