Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Use Items

Default Multiple Use Items

I was thinking about how so many of our hunts involve airplanes and boats, where space is at a premium. This led me to thinking about using items that serve more than one purpose. Many of us do that already, but perhaps a list would be good, and may help some folks out there. So, how about it? Do you bring things with you that serve double duty? What works for you?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Poncho

I bought a ripstop nylon poncho this year. I can obviously use it as a poncho that will cover your pack while walking, rain fly, ground cloth or even to cover meat.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

NorthFace Venture packable rain jacket and full zip pants. White on the inside. Wear em inside out for whites on a sheep hunt.

Outdoor Research XL pack cover. Use it as emergency bivy bag, it's big enough to curl up in.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

hodgman three quarter lentgh rain coat, its pvc and ties around my pack/meat at night, tie the sleeves off and haul water in it, or bundles of snow for drinking water, doubles as a tarp under my tent or sleeping bag and even works as a rain coat! aslo creates a nice layer over my meat when i'm packing so none of my other gear gets blood or juices on it.

Default Multi-tools

Take a good quality multi-tool (SOG, Leatherman, etc.) with you. They will do just about anything you need in a pinch and they don't take up much space or weight.

Smile multi tool

Hey Mike is this stuff going in you your next book..ha ha ha.

How about the use of a large space blanket for laying your meat out,alot lighter then a trap,and your always going to carry it...the draw back is that there a little on the frail side,kiss them good by at the end of the hunt....one other tool that might not be a multi use tool but i promise you that if you try it you will keep it in your pack, that would be a folding sheet rock knife,the one that you can change the blades out, a friend of mine thats a taxidermist told me about it last year,so i put it to the test....skinning 2 moose and part of a bear,pretty nice not having to pack a knife sharpener,or 3 knifes to do one moose,your still going to have to pack a knife for the bonning etc... good luck with the book mike...

Default Here's some more

A cooler can double as a camp chair. An Action Packer makes a great kitchen box for all your utensils, etc, and can also be used as a camp seat or as a seat in the raft.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Good list. I'll add a couple.

For fly-outs and floats we use 5-gallon buckets for waterproofing, organization, smell proofing and chairs. Label the outside and snap on the lids and they're standard camp furniture. The smell proofing is great in bear country.

The second started out as "survival" gear and still works that way, but I use it daily on hunts. It's a little 2-cup teapot from REI. Inside are instant coffee packets and teabags, as well as a couple of milsurp fuel packets, the little foil ones with the biscuit of "blue fuel" inside. One is usually enough to boil the pot of water, but also great as a firestarter with wet wood. I make tea or coffee at midday, and more often in cold weather. Great for treating water in giardia country, too.

Default cooler

A cooler also doubles as a water jug when you are hastily trying to lighten the load and each person manages to take the 5 gallon inflatable jug out of their bags. That one was an oops. It was a hike all the way down the mountain to fill it up also. Needless to say we did not drink much water on that hunt.

Default Here's an idea

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    ...2-cup teapot from REI. Inside are instant coffee packets and teabags, as well as a couple of milsurp fuel packets, the little foil ones with the biscuit of "blue fuel" inside. One is usually enough to boil the pot of water, but also great as a firestarter with wet wood. I make tea or coffee at midday, and more often in cold weather...
    A nice hot lunch trick with your setup is some boullion cubes and a packet of chicken (you know, those foil pouches?). Hot soup on a cold day... good stuff. I used to carry a small thermos bottle to the spotting hill, with hot coffee for my hunters, but not anymore. It was a good idea though. The comforts of home...

-Mike

When my wife is along the cup o' soup and noodle cups go in my pack too, but for me alone there's not much water left in a 2-cup pot by the time I've had the coffee I want.

Those fuel packets (Fuel, Compressed, Trioxane. Ration Heating. FSN 9110-263-9865) are getting hard to find, so I snap up a bunch any time I see them. Three to a box.

There's actually a little folding "stove" for using them, but they're even more scarce these days than the fuel. More of a rack for setting the teapot on. Abou the size of a deck of cards when folded. Sometimes I carry one and sometimes not. Propping the pot on a couple of rocks works about as well unless there's snow. Then you have to figure a way to keep the fuel from burning down into the snow.

I'll add one more thing to the list: A spare pair of socks. Even if your feet don't get wet, changing socks at midday will really put the spring back in your step.

Okay. You get the picture. Hot coffee and warm hands with lunch. Change socks and take a nap. By the time I wake up it's about time for the evening hunt.

Smile multiuse tools

I say ditto on the poncho which I began carrying a few years ago and is the most versatile thing in my pack. On shorter hikes you could even use it as your only raingear which I have done. You can use it as a bivy tarp to sleep under or on in good weather. Another thing I recently added is a tiny safety tool which is a whistle, magnifying glass, compass, knife, etc. It only cost a few dollars and I figured it may help to signal in an emergency.

Red face Tyvek

Tyvek home wrap. For tarps, ground cloth, make shift meat bag's, for transport. It's cheep and fairly tough, and the price is right.Also takes up very little room when folded at the bottom of a pack. Bill.

Default Folding Shovel

A military buddy of mine told me about this little outdoor comfort. On most hunting and fishing trips I will take along a folding shovel, for various reasons, but something that I hadn't thought about until I met this friend of mine, is to fold the shovel end over, at a right angle. Use the flat blade surface to sit on, with the handle end on the ground when you have to do your "business". It makes a great seat, especially when you have a lot of clothes on and don't have anything to brace against. Sorry to give visuals, but it is a great "Multi-Purpose" tool. Enjoy.

Default Heavy duty aluminium foil

This stuff works for everything: patching up a rusty stove in a cabin, lids and even baking pans for cooking, reflecter ovens, signaling device, along with duct tape it patches many objects. It can be used as a splint when folded multiple times and conformed over a break or fracture. I've even used it in combo with heavy wire (don't get me started on baling wire!) to patch a muffler on a snowmachine. I always carry a roll when I go camping.

Talking Luggable Loo

A very multi-use tool that I take on every camping trip is my luggable loo toilet seat. It is very comfortable and almost just like home. See link below.
    http://www.cabelas.com/vprod-1/0009518.shtml

When I bought mine, it came with just the flip up seat and I had to provide my own 5 gallon bucket. I bought an orange Home Depot bucket to comply with the hunter orange laws in my home state . I sometimes camp in a tent or in the back of my van and this toilet is a dream when nature calls. I use brown bags as liners since they are disposable and biodegradeable and that way I keep the bucket in good shape.

The loo serves as a deer stand seat, toilet, and storage for other gear.
    Last edited by WinMag_300; 12-06-2006 at 21:11. Reason: Add Title
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

One of those small back pack propane burners to cook and make warm drinks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default multi use

to add to the 5 gal plastic bucket use, the lid can be used to scrape brush, if you lost last years scapula. If its a white lid, it can also be used to "flash", same as a scapula.
    true multi use would have to include parachute cord & duct tape, to obvious, maybe.
    Gary

Oh yeah I cannot not forget duck tape. This is the best thing in the world.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

wonder why nobody mentioned zip ties. there are alot of uses for those, if you are creative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast