Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadhorse bear encounter

Default Deadhorse bear encounter

My buddy and I were hunting the North Slope and we decided to run into Deadhorse as I had never been there. When we got there we stopped at my companies station at the airport and talked with the guys. We decided to spend the night there instead of heading back to the tundra and snow.
    I needed some gear, so walked out the door and made the "U" turn to the tailgate of the truck, let the tailgate down, and started digging. My buddy was following behind. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, I heard noises, my buddy yelling my name and a "whoof". Both sounds were repeated several times.
    I turned, and directly in front of me and advancing was a grizzly. At that point he was less than 20' away. My buddy was to my left and standing in the door way of the building about 15' to the side. The bear continued to "woof" and blow and walk toward me.
    Lying inside the tailgate was a chrome 4-way lug wrench. I grabbed it, turned back toward the bear, started yelling and throwing my arms in the air. Say what you want about planning for an event like this, but it all goes out the window in a hurry. As the youngest of 4 kids, I figured out pretty quick in life that if somebody said "boo" and tried to grab me the best option was to fight. At that point, with a grizzly in front of me, I went to what I know, and that was fight mode.
    My buddy continued to yell things at the bear, and got his attention. As the bears head swung to my left, I jumped up on the tailgate and the load in the open pick up truck. The bear turned back, and closed to 10'. I was thinking that at least I was taller than the bear. And I remember thinking, "look big", "be bigger than he is", "size matters". Does it make sense now? Maybe, maybe not. Again it is amazing how clear I can see it all now. I guess I should have gone underneath the truck, but my mindset was on a fight, not flight.
    My buddy grabbed a rock, ok, a pebble, and threw it left handed at the bear. Later he told me the only thing he could think about was that he did not have his camera. Gee, thanks. He hit the bear about as hard as a 3 year old throwing a snowball, but it worked. The bear turned sideways to me, facing the "threat" hiding behind the 1/2 open door into the building.
    I immediately saw the bears exposed rib cage, drew back the lug wrench, and let fly. BOOM!!!!! Solid hit! The bear turned and started to run.
    Ok, you guys are going to have a hard time with this, but here it goes. I leaped toward the bear. The only thing I could think of was "he's running" and "grab the lug wrench". As I was airborne the bear turned. Whoops.
    Not much a guy can do once his feet leaves mother earth. Oh crap, I'm about to be in deep kimchee.
    The bear saw me in flight and decided that I just was not playing fair, the fun had ended, and threw his feet into 4th gear. About the time he accelerated away I hit the ground, grabbed the lug wrench, and went into full fledged pursuit. I know, I know. You don't have to say a word. What a dumbass.
    He ran out of sight PDQ, and I was left standing in the middle of the parking lot with a smoking loaded crome lug wrench clenched in my fist. My buddy came out from behind his hiding spot, walked up to me, and to his credit, did not say a word. Then we both swore, laughed, swore, and laughed some more.
    I think he was about 40' tall and 9,000lbs, Kurt thought a 2 year old and a wee bit lighter. For real I'd guess 3 years, 5 1/2" to 6', 250lbs or more. Standing on all 4 feet I'd put his back easily above my belt. He was in the open, and had no reason to corner me. I think he walked around a vehicle just as I turned my back toward the truck, hence the reason I did not see MR. Big and Furry standing there.
    When people ask me if I go forth armed, here is my response:
    My Glock is fine
    my Ruger is grand
    but if push comes to shove
    place a lug wrench in my hand.

Thumbs up

Ak River Rat thanks for the entertaining read and good laugh, that had to be some sight and I see you have the same quality friends I have! Then again I have been accused of taking pictures of my friends plight at inopportune times according to them.

that was a good read. Thanks for sharing. Glad it worked out for you.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Hilarious!

That just made my night! +1 man. I love the flying kamikazee ninja part. I could totally picture that in my mind and just see a close-up with sinister eyes and then old school kung fu mouth dubbing.

Rob

Default the mouth dub

Holy rat poop batman I'm screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You ever do an airborne enroute reversal? I tried, trust me.
    Kind of reminded me of the time I had my older by 5 years brother in flight. Right up until the time he figured out he was still bigger than me. Kind of wish I had thought about that before my feet acted quicker than my brain. At least the bear continued on, my brother, whom I still love, did not. Ouch!

That made for got laugh!!! Thanks AK

Man, glad it turned out that way. These bears up here seem to take to flight more often than not, but they are an overly curious bunch. I was talking to one of the night crew guys about 2 hours ago regarding a run in with a sow and cub about 6 years ago up here. I did a pretty stupid, spur of the moment decision move on the cub when the sow looked away, and as soon as he ran squeeling like a stuck pig, the sow turned and I could tell she didn't like what was going on. I ran at the cub to get him to go away since he separated so far from the sow. I don't think I'll ever need a reminder on how quickly these things can move. I had to run towards her to get back to the door and get inside.

Both of us could of ended up being prime candidates for a Darwin Award, instead we look brave? Some might say that... others might say otherwise.

How did you do on the hunt?

The hunting was fun, but not filled so much with adrenalin. Brave? On my part? NOPE! Sure is a funny thing how instinct works. Sometimes a guy just does not seem to have much choice. Things just happen.
    Brave describes my buddy hiding behind the heavy shop door. Not really, smart he was for sure. From his perspective he did everything he could do and he was right. I'm not sure even I would have run out if positions were changed.
    I think both the bear and I had to change underwear though.

Default Glad you were unscathed...

Thanks alot, Here I am sitting in my battalion Tactical Operations Center in Afghanistan and I just busted out laughing. Now everyone is looking at me funny.

Great story!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default LoL

The first thing you learn in Ninja school is the human body doesn't have air brakes.
    Glad the outcome was printed here instead of the obits.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

[QUOTE=Ak River Rat;593615] Say what you want about planning for an event like this, but it all goes out the window in a hurry.

I totally undestand this. On my first hunt, first bull sighting, everything I had seen, heard, read...my mind went blank! And that was something I went looking for. I can't imagine what you went through. Good story. I could completely picture the whole thing.

Have Wrench, Will Travel. Good story and glad you came out unscratched!

LOL That was a very funny story however Im sure it was'nt funny at the time! ( Change drawers) That mid air acrobat stuff reminds me of someone in midstep realizing they are about to step on a rattle snake curled up on the ground. You know how some way or another you take a double/triple step in mid air that really dont do anything but waste precious seconds before you take off like a bat out of H***! LOL Oh so funny!

Default Good stuff

That's the best read I've had in a while. Glad you came away unscathed.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Great story, and I'm glad it ended well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL great!!

reminds me of watching my neighbor smack a 6' blackie with a fry pan to shoo it out of the trash....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How's the saying go,? there is no answer for stupid,!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you are O.K., The memory will be there for the rest of your life.

There is an airstrip off of the highway about 40 miles and it's a small camp. The lady who takes care of the place says this time of year the Grizzlies are EVERYWHERE. Says they'll come destroy everything not chained down.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Hi.
    Haven't been in Yogi's country yet,however read and seen heaps on Video,one especially comes to mind where an Old male was shot & killed as it wouldn't retreat and probably would have killed the guy,I bet you had a couple of beers after that encounter,you were lucky Yogi retreated.
    Recon you need heaps of undies in Bear Country.

Great story and I too wish I had a camera to capture the whole event. Thanks for the post. J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast