Thread: Talkeetna boat launch condition?

Question Talkeetna boat launch condition?

Anyone put their boat in at the campground boat launch lately. Last I heard it was pretty hard to get around the sandbar that has formed out front. Weather is cooperating and I would like to get up there, but do not want to haul everything all the way just to not get on the river. Any up to date info would be greatly appreciated.

I think the boat launch is in great condition with plenty of water, but I'm probably the wrong guy to ask...lol....what kind of boat are you going to be in?...that will probably make a difference with the suggestions you may get...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

The boat launch and river conditions were just fine for my airboat. I even ran up the launch chanel to the main stem two days ago.

Default enough water?

I have an 18' Almar Jetstream with 351 and hamilton jet drive. Its not a huge boat. but does draw a few inches at rest. Don't need much take off room to get on step, but last I heard, people were having to walk their boats quite a ways down river to get into the channel. Thats what I am inquiring about. Lots of difference in walking a light flat bottom john type boat compared to what I have. You start walking a boat like mine down stream and the water gets shallower....its a big problem.

Yo Gremlin...appreciate your input, but we're looking at apples and oranges when you start talking about getting an airboat on step out of there. Sorry I did not clarify what type of boat I have to begin with.
    Thanks

I wouldn't hesitate one bit.....but that's me....I doubt the water dropped since last weekend with the daytime temps we've had this week....if fishing is what you're after I wouldn't get too excited....water is still pretty off color..

when the launch starts to look like this you'll know it is about time to pack it up for the year....

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default 10/12/09

I ran my 16 foot tunnel up the boat launch channel but I did not come back down that way went billion on the way back. I think I could of run my inboard there was a lot of water through that way. Mahays had two of their big queens tied up when we came back. fishing was fair.