Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger as one gun for Juneau vicinity

Default 375 Ruger as one gun for Juneau vicinity

Hello All,I will be moving to Juneau soon and am wondering if I need to invest in a larger caliber rifle. I currently hunt/live in Montana with a Ruger M77 7mm mag in the open for elk, deer, and antelope and a Marlin 35 Rem w/ open sites in the dark timber for elk. My wife shoots a nice Kimber in Rem 260. We also have shotguns.
    Around Juneau I expect I'll mostly be hunting blacktails and maybe some moose and our current calibers would do for these species. However, I am wondering if I should be hunting with a 375 or such to double as brown bear protection (May be hunting Admiralty and other areas besides Juneau vicinity....and of course other places in AK when time & budget allows). I like the Ruger Alaskan because of the short 20" barrel which is why I am considering the Ruger 375. I handload so am not necessarily worried about ammo availability. I also pack bear spray but have no large caliber pistols. and I am a lefty.... Thoughts?

Smile sounds good...

Although your 7 Rem. Mag. will kill anything in Alaska it sounds as though you want to get a new rifle. Ruger makes good rifles and their .375 is a good one. Leave the bear spray at home for the neighbors dog and save your money for a used S&W Mountain Gun in .44 mag. or .45 Colt. A hand gun is not necessary when hunting with a rifle, but everyone should have a big bore hand gun. Juneau may not have a big moose population, but they have deer, goats and bears! Welcome to Alaska.

I wouldn't try to talk you out of buying either the 375 or a large caliber handgun, but I sure hope to talk you out of parting with any of your other guns till you get up here and have a chance to draw your own conclusions. The spread you have sounds dandy, so I'd think more of adding to it than paring away at it. Biggest mistake I ever made was selling off a bunch of guns before moving up here in the 70's. Spent the next 10+ years basically buying them all back.

I am not sure about ammo availability and prices for the 375 ruger, it may be a better bet to go w/ a 338 and shoot it a bunch for much less $$$. You can haul 250grn rounds for bear and with 180's it is a laser out past 300 yards.

I'd use my .375 Ruger as a one gun show without reservation. As said- think twice before selling off anything though. I'm more comfortable with a rifle in all respects and would take a .375 over any one made given druthers, your mileage may vary though.

That .260 is perfect for deer down there BTW...a buddy has used one with great success so far.

Welcome to AK! Sounds like you're ready to have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of buying either the 375 or a large caliber handgun, but I sure hope to talk you out of parting with any of your other guns till you get up here. . .
    I second that emotion. I never think buying a new/another rifle is a mistake, but you may find a lot of use for a trusty 7 RM and a 35 Rem. BTW, when I get close to a brownie I always think my gun is a little small . The 375 Ruger is a excellent rifle for a lot of situations here in AK and a great value. You could do a lot worse.

With handloads your 35 rem will do fine with good 225 gr bullets.For what its worth you will find the same coastal brownies around Juneau as Admiralty. If you want the 375 get it and maybe save a few bucks from buying one up here.JMHO

thanx for all the advice. I didn't mean to imply that I would be getting rid of any of our current firearms...maybe it was the "one gun" that made evreyone think this. I am looking at options for what may become my primary rifle up there....and wanting to make sure it is also good as a just-in-case bear stopper. I am just outside Yellowstone National Park right now and we have a lot of grizz and I am comfortable hunting with my 7mm mag. These bears aren't as big as yours though and our cover no where near as thick.
    I am considering the 338 WM also but really would like a shorter barrel which is why I am looking at the 375 Ruger.
    Some will argue that either the 338 or 375 is overkill for blacktails but with well placed shots it is just a slightly bigger hole through the ribs...no additional loss of meat. With my 7mm mag, when using it on deer and antelope, the same holds true (pardon the pun).

I don't thing that either are overkill and I have found they can do less damage than the cheaper normal deer caliber bullets. JMHO but I feel the 338 is probably the better all around gun. The Ruger magmum in 338RCM has the short barrel also though I prefer the old 338winmag.A handloader should do fine with the 338RCM

thanx I'll take another look at what is out there for lefties in stainless with a shorter barrel

Ah man!!! Another leftie!!!

Welcome aboard.

All the Ruger #1's are lefty and have some class

Default trust me

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not sure about ammo availability and prices for the 375 ruger, it may be a better bet to go w/ a 338 and shoot it a bunch for much less $$$. You can haul 250grn rounds for bear and with 180's it is a laser out past 300 yards.
    The .338 is way more economical and will fit your needs. Stick with 225 grainers and you get good all around ballistics and a hesavyt bullet too. Ive shot 11 boxes thru my 375 ruger at 60 bucks a box. 660 dollars plus tax. I just got my dies in and spent 140 dollars for 2 boxes of 270 grain triple shocks and another 40 bucks for powder and primers. Not including the 80 bucks for the dies. I was able to load 100 rbarnes tsx of .338 for my buddy for around 125 dollars. But I already had the dies. not including the 1000 dollars for the rifle and another 500 for a nice scope. But im glad i bought the rifle I really likeit. Even though it all costs a lot to own/shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    The .338 is way more economical and will fit your needs. Stick with 225 grainers and you get good all around ballistics and a hesavyt bullet too. Ive shot 11 boxes thru my 375 ruger at 60 bucks a box. 660 dollars plus tax. I just got my dies in and spent 140 dollars for 2 boxes of 270 grain triple shocks and another 40 bucks for powder and primers. Not including the 80 bucks for the dies. I was able to load 100 rbarnes tsx of .338 for my buddy for around 125 dollars. But I already had the dies. not including the 1000 dollars for the rifle and another 500 for a nice scope. But im glad i bought the rifle I really likeit. Even though it all costs a lot to own/shoot it.
    thanx for the info Magnum man and everyone....I have a .375 Ruger left-hand on order. Now time to find ammo and get brass, dies, bullets etc.

Default 375 Ruger

Did you find one of the 20" Stainless/laminated for a reasonable price or go for the African (23" bbl, blue/wood)? An interested southpaw wants to know.
    Drink indigenous.

RayCo gunshop in Juneau is a neat place to hang around.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbio View Post
    thanx for the info Magnum man and everyone....I have a .375 Ruger left-hand on order. Now time to find ammo and get brass, dies, bullets etc.
    Dies doable. Bullets doable. Powder occasionally doable. Ammo occasionally doable. Brass???? Brass???? Fortget about it!!!!!!! Midway has been holding on to my brass order for 1, 2, 3.......months. I had to break down and buy ammo to shoot it out. I'd buy more ammo to get brass if I could find some.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    Did you find one of the 20" Stainless/laminated for a reasonable price or go for the African (23" bbl, blue/wood)? An interested southpaw wants to know.
    I did go with the leftie lam/ss one of the 1 in 100...thought about it for awhile before doing so. The rifle more than anything else is what made up my mind.

Reasonable price? Let's just say I'm not happy about having to pay a premium for a leftie.

I probably got it from the same seller many other holders of this version have.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    RayCo gunshop in Juneau is a neat place to hang around.
    thank you- thats the kind of advice I can use!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Dies doable. Bullets doable. Powder occasionally doable. Ammo occasionally doable. Brass???? Brass???? Fortget about it!!!!!!! Midway has been holding on to my brass order for 1, 2, 3.......months. I had to break down and buy ammo to shoot it out. I'd buy more ammo to get brass if I could find some.

Brett
    I ordered some ammo today...it's out there but about $50 per box.
    I also talked with Hornady today and the rep said they are using what brass they have for loaded ammo....which they make a lot more money off of....and that there MAY be a release in 5-8 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast