Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Deer Hunt

Default Kodiak Deer Hunt

I know there are a ton of threads on here about hunting deer on Kodiak, I have read through most of them. But still, I am getting ready to hunt on the South end for the first time and I am getting anxious so I would love to hear about your previous hunts and see your pics. And of course, any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated! Feel free to pm me or post it here.

Thanks,

Ryan

I've heard of people having good luck down there, road system hasn't been all that great this year. A few of us are heading down to sitkinak island in a month to give that a try. Watch out for the bears and have a good hunt!!

Default Destination

The south end of Kodiak seems to have escaped some of the winter storms that have killed off lots of "north island" deer. Stil there doesn't seem to be the number of deer that I encountered at Grant's Lagoon in 2006 - they seemed to be everywhere then.

There are lots of places on the south end of Kodiak to hunt. By October or early November they should be lots lower than when I hunt (August & September). I guess I like to climb.

I have a friend (resident) who hunted on the southeast in November. They encounted really bad weather so be prepared for rain & cold.

The rack in my avatar (new) is a blacktail from Kodiak.
    Last edited by Phil; 10-13-2009 at 06:27. Reason: added thought

Default Grants

My buddy and I hunted Grants for 13 days in September.
    PM me for information if this is where you are going.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Good luck to you CGS!

Phil, nice buck!

Jeff, thanks for the offer, but I won't be by Grants lagoon.

Default Next week

My hunting partner and I head to Frazer Lake (south end cabin) on Mobnday. I'll report back what we find.....

We hunted the same place on the south end of Kodiak in '05 and '06. It was 2 very different trips.

In '05 we (2 of us) killed 3 deer the first day, all very nice bucks. I shot 2 and my dad shot 1, and I held out for a big one after that. Ended up taking a pretty decent buck with my last tag and the old man killed a dandy the last day. We easily could've been tagged out in 2 days. Incredible the number of deer we saw.

Fast forward a year, and there weren't nearly as many deer in there, and the charter boats were hammering the place like crazy. Deer were real spooky and we went home with 3 deer, 3 average bucks. Not a bad trip but nothing like the year before.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Thanks

I'm pretty happy with that buck so thanks - Lost By Choice.

For a meat hunter, passing on a nice 3 x 3 a day earlier is hadrer than one might imagine.

The picture of just the head is what happens when you hunt alone (at my age I just slow everyone down) and you leave your camera on the counter at Harvey Aviation in Kodiak.

I do have the camera back (thanks Steve) and I won't forget until the next time.

Default Caribou

There's a new caribou harvest option on Kodiak this year and my partner and I have picked up harvest tags in case we run into a/some bous when we're at Frazer Lake.

What have others experienced on the south end related to seeing caribou and success harvesting this year?

Thanks....jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    There's a new caribou harvest option on Kodiak this year and my partner and I have picked up harvest tags in case we run into a/some bous when we're at Frazer Lake.

What have others experienced on the south end related to seeing caribou and success harvesting this year?

Thanks....jim
    Funny dat- the only thing new is the one 'bou limit and tag requirement. Used to be no tags, no limit- shoot em if you found em. Not sure where you'll find them, but the estimated herd is pretty small.

Default Caribou sheds

Don't know if it will help during hunting season, but I've found lots of Caribou (reindeer) sheds above Bumble Bay. Seen some real nice bucks in there too.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I will have a bou tag, but from what I hear, it's a pretty slim chance of seeing any.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    I will have a bou tag, but from what I hear, it's a pretty slim chance of seeing any.
    Depends where you are hunting. The reindeer are in some fairly predictable spots. Do a search for the thread I started on hunting the south end a couple of years ago. The hunting should be getting pretty good in about a week.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Reindeer

F&G says they are reindeer and that there are only 200 in the herd. It started out as something that they thought would spark an interest but that went south quick. They were planted there and usually only Commercial Fisherman hunt them. Anyways they winter near Olga Bay. But don't take my word for it just go there and ask when you are here.

Default Reindeer

I've hunted reindeer on the south end of Kodiak and also spent considerable time there in the summers doing plant surveys for USFWS. I've stood on ridges and counted well over 300 reindeer at various times. They move around quite a bit and it's always a crap shoot as to whether they will be near where you plan to hunt. We lucked out - we spotted a couple herds, landed in a nearby lake, set up camp, and within two days had three nice bulls. USFWS would like to see them exterminated as they are an invasive species.

Quote Originally Posted by nomotor View Post
    USFWS would like to see them exterminated
    I'm not so sure about that. Given recent reg changes the reindeer will be on Kodiak for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Given recent reg changes the reindeer will be on Kodiak for a long time to come.
    USFWS and ADFG are two different agencies with sometimes differing agendas. I'm pretty sure USFWS would like the reindeer gone, but you're right -- it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon with the new regs.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Exterminate them

That is what F&G here in Kodiak said. I went in there to ask about it and they said that they had plans for the reindeer but now they just want them gone. They said that the harvest number was the plan for a few years ago that just got implemented now. They also said to be on the look out for a change next year or the next after that. So I'm guessing that it wasn't their call to limit the harvest. Anyways, I thought I would straighten a few things out as best I could but then again F&G might tell someone else something totally different. It's a crap shoot with them.

2005 was the year to be out there. Ive heard the numbers have decreased since then, but havent been there to confirm. If the deer numbers are decent you will have great hunt. Blacktail hunts are definetly up there as my favorites.

Default hunting the So. end of Kodiak

Does anybody know if there is any place to land a wheel plane there? Of course being able to take-off again would be a plus. Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast