Thread: Moving and Bear Rugs

Default Moving and Bear Rugs

I am getting ready to ship some of my house hold goods. Are there any reccommendations or precautions for bear rugs?

thanks

Default I was told

when I got my rug, that if I were going to store it, to fold it up fur side in and keep it in a large plastic bag. Don't know if that is what others recomend and it has been on the wall since I brought it home.

I would recommend folding it loosely, and a big box. I have a thick wall cardboard box that is very big and I have put a brown in it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Boxes!!! no bags... toss a couple moth balls in the bottom if it will be any length of time, they will keep all kinds of bugs out off your fur while it travels.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

And don't forget about it, get it back out and hung up! Not only bugs, but mice LOVE furs that have been "forgotten about".....

Ditto, no bags! If you need to bag it use burlap, something that can breath, but a box is your best friend.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default 22 year mover

I've packed hundreds of rugs and mounts. On a bear rug I always folded the legs in first, and then started rolling from the tail forward. The head ends up on top, supported by the soft hide and hair. Depending on how it rolls, and the size of the box, you may need some packing material like unprinted newspaper or the big brown paper moving pads to stuff in under the head so the neck does not develop a crease.
    Some moving companies will sell used boxes. I'll suggest that depending on the size of the bear, a double or triple wall box should be used. Thinner boxes may tend to bulge or tear. Microwave cartons or dishpacks are examples of double wall boxes. If you can't find a used one, new are very costly. Another idea if you have access to a military base is to find somebody moving in and see if you can get boxes from them to recycle.
    If you are moving yourself, I am sure you'll remember the box it is in. But I always write on the side of the boxes which room it came from, and the contents. If it is a "top load" box, one that can't be stood on, I write "no step" or just put a big "X" on the top so I can see it while loading.

as a taxidermist, this is how I fold a bear rug (or any rug, FTM)

starting with one side, fold the hide lengthwise in a straight line from the shoulder to the rear - fur to fur..... fold the back leg up and front leg back toward the outside so that they do not get in the way of folding the other side. Repeat on the other side. Then starting at the tail, fold about one third the way toward the head, and then again, so that the part you folded is on top of the bear's head. Wrap the head with thick batting to protect the paint and ears.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I would recommend folding it loosely, and a big box. I have a thick wall cardboard box that is very big and I have put a brown in it.
    Bingo Fur side up and don't...I realize this is pretty obvious...don't fold the legs over the head to smash your ears down.