Thread: rifle case

Default rifle case

Looking to replace my rifle case. Whats better, aluminum or the high desity plastics? Has to be able to carry 2 rifles and be TSA aproved. Thanks

Pelican for "plastic" or Cabelas for a nice metal one. Both are good just deicde what your needs are. SKB makes a nice case as well.
    Tennessee

Default Plastic

While aluminum looks sexier and cooler. The Pelican style plastic is far superior. It is waterproof, and doesn't dent when baggage handlers are acting like a bunch of childish sanitation workers and tossing "the customers" bags around like garbage bags full of refuse. They also float if dropped overboard while loading on a boat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Thumbs up Pelican...

It's the only case I haven't had broken courtesy of the airlines. I had a high dollar case broken and I swore it couldn't be done. It's actually impressive how they can break seemingly unbreakable things. Pelican all the way. I would be afraid the aluminum would be torn/punctured.

Default SKB

I went with the SKB double rifle case. They offer a $1500 warranty in the event of damage from airlines.

Default Tuffpak

Tuffpak has been on several flights by far the best case for me, at least take a look

Default Aluminium Gets My Vote

I have one of these and its indestructable. http://www.americase.com/pages/order/at3gun.shtml If you are buying an aluminium case research the brand before hand. The one above is made with .080 which is a lot thicker than the aluminium used on the skins of commercial aircraft. The cheaper ones will be made with .063 and smaller. You get what you pay for I guess. I also have several pelican cases and they are extremely nice, you wouldn't go wrong buying one. But when comparing the two I travel with the americase. Also both designs are waterproofed in a very similar manner (the pelicans use an O ring the americases a rubber crush strip).

Default Case

Pelican by far the best case. WIth the water tight seal and ruggedness and is lighter than the Alum cases.

Default skb plastic

I have a alum. 4 gun case and shipped it once and the ramp apes bent the locking tabs and generaly banged it up. I've also shipped in fairly cheep plastic and it showed less damaged. My guess is the ramp rats bang anything that is large or heavy , I guess to show their distain for doing their job. I now mail my guns to myself anytime I need to move them and the post office treats them very well so far .W/ ins. and shipping its around 60-65 dollars. So my vote is for plastic as you pay wt. to ship.

Default Pelican

Pelican gets my vote. Great Case!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Ramp Apes...

hehehehehhe

Default Look at Storm cases...

I travel with guns A LOT, and have tried them all. Both with the US National Team and now with the University team, I've seen all sizes and brands come and go.

Aluminum is nice for sure, but can get dinged up and bent fairly easily (actually had an airline truck/baggage vehicle run over one of mine before and broke my stock in half). Pelican is nice and was the old standby for years, but they are about the heaviest plastic case made. With the weight restrictions and extra baggage fees, it adds up quick.

Storm Cases are now the official supplier for the US Shooting Team and I have 10 of their cases for my team and LOVE them. They are light weight without sacrificing strength at all (a new plastic mix) and they hold up extremely well. They have 6 latches (4 on the front and 1 on each side) and are not as brittle as the Pelican cases. I have had several of the Pelican's in the past and it seems that the handles and hinges get chipped. The lighter the case, the less they have to throw it around, so it doesn't get beat up as bad either. I would give them a try, if they work flying all over the world and many times per year, they are probably plenty good for someone flying once or twice a year.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Quote Originally Posted by danjordan78 View Post
    I travel with guns A LOT, and have tried them all. Both with the US National Team and now with the University team, I've seen all sizes and brands come and go.

Aluminum is nice for sure, but can get dinged up and bent fairly easily (actually had an airline truck/baggage vehicle run over one of mine before and broke my stock in half). Pelican is nice and was the old standby for years, but they are about the heaviest plastic case made. With the weight restrictions and extra baggage fees, it adds up quick.

Storm Cases are now the official supplier for the US Shooting Team and I have 10 of their cases for my team and LOVE them. They are light weight without sacrificing strength at all (a new plastic mix) and they hold up extremely well. They have 6 latches (4 on the front and 1 on each side) and are not as brittle as the Pelican cases. I have had several of the Pelican's in the past and it seems that the handles and hinges get chipped. The lighter the case, the less they have to throw it around, so it doesn't get beat up as bad either. I would give them a try, if they work flying all over the world and many times per year, they are probably plenty good for someone flying once or twice a year.
    Pelican has now bought out Storm, wonder if they will continue the two separate brands or consolidate them?

You can't go wrong with either case, both are just about indestructible. I know one gun mag did a case test in the past year or two and even ran over the pelican case with no damage to rifle and no bullet strike shift.

Default Pelican...

I have a Pelican double and it is awesome. Waterproof, negative pressure relief valve, practically indestructible, and a lifetime warranty. I also have smaller ones for my pistols and had one of the hinges crack on an old one I had. Sent it in and they even let me choose what color I wanted...awesome customer service. They also have pluckable foam for generic fitment for whatever. I normaly trace and cut out. Just my two cents...

AZinAK

Default rifle case

Thanks to all, It looks like I'm going to by a pelican.