Thread: forty mile herd

Question forty mile herd

Just got back from the Chicken. Saw a couple killed. Lots of fresh tracks, trooper said hundreds moved through three weeks ago. Road was nice, drifts got big near Eagle and had to turn around. Anything happening on the Steese??

Default 40 Mile

Shot one near the "Y" on 1 DEC, the only Caribou we saw the whole day.

Heard success reports from a friend who got one off the Steese, where the group they were in was larger than 150 animals.

Just got back from the steese. Seen 100's at Circle hot springs. About75-100 came out for the two days we were there. Mainly cows though. Shot one Cow. Great trip and good temps! need to take snowmachine if your considering it though!
    Steve

StevenJ or anyone who's been up the Steese this year,

What were the road conditions like on the Steese? I've never been up that way before. How long did it take to get to Circle Hot Springs from Fairbanks? Any pointers for a first time 40-mile hunter?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Default 40-mile steese

Had a buddy whos dad and a few friends headed up the steese 1 dec and all three came back 2 dec with caribou. Considering heading up there 16th but have to check on my kitchen pass. Ill try and find out what the roads were like then
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Thanks for the info Dux. I'm heading up this weekend (9 Dec) and I'm just trying to plan my drive times and what equipment to bring with me.

The roads were pretty good and the temp were great. coldest was about -18 at night. Eagle summit had some bad drifting but the plows were making regular runs through there. We were staying in Fairbanks and driving back and forth to Circle hot springs each day in a F250 with BFG A/T's. It was not bad at all.

Some guys I know headed up that way and the last I heard was that guys were launching sleds down past the Circle Hot Springs resort and heading east. Parts of the herd were only about 5 miles east of CHS on opening day and now they are supposedly 15-20 miles east of CHS. Have not heard of anyone killing one or seeing one off the Steese itself, as of now its a straight up snowmachine hunt launching down by the CHS resort. No sled = NO bou.

Exclamation Wolves

For those of you that are familiar with this bou hunt, would it be worth following this herd and spotting for Wolves?

Default Hotline?

I have heard that there is a hotline you can call and get info on this herd, but no one I talk to can seem to remember it or where to get it.

Does anyone on here happen to know what that number is or where I can find it?

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    For those of you that are familiar with this bou hunt, would it be worth following this herd and spotting for Wolves?
    If their wolves in the area they will be killing caribou.

The forty mile hotline number is
    1-907-267-2310

I focused on trying to find wolves, unfortunatly my calling did not do much and I only seen very few tracks. One of are Bou sat for about 4 hours next to a gutpile about 5 hours while we got the rest of them back in. It was about 12 miles out. I also tried to call a few times by Birch creek and twelve mile summit. No luck! Good luck to you though!
    Steve

Does anyone have any update info for the Steese that is current today the 7th? Where to look for them over the next couple of days?

I made a suicide run up there yesterday and rode about 8 miles back from the Circle Hot Springs road and we never saw any bou. It snowed about 4" on us in the 4 hours of daylight we had so visibility sucked. The trooper I talked to said the guys that did kill bou were killing them out at about the 10 mile mark using snowmachines, we were on wheelers. We saw a few tracks where they had crossed the main trail but not in big numbers of any kind. Eagle summit pass was a dream to drive over, if you've done it in bad weather you know what I mean. Saw a nice Martin and a Lynx while out there that was the highlight of our trip.

Alaska Cub,

Is that east or west of Circle Hot Springs that they are being killed? The was saying earlier this week that the 'bou were in the Birch Creek drainage but I've been hearing the caribou are to the east.

All the bou are being killed east of Circle Hot Springs resort. Theres a road that runs east from the resort and then it turns into a trail and goes way back into the hills. The Caribou are on the domes back there above treeline. The guys that I saw that killed em were way back there on snowmachines with pull behind sleds. The trooper I talked to confirmed this as well. I dont know anything about Birch creek drainage holding bou, theres no sign along the Steese of Caribou crossing in their but I saw some pretty packed trails on the the road/trail I just mentioned.

Default Hey Cub

Dont you wish you had a sled? I know a guy who just got a great deal from a fella that didnt need one anymore. He'd probably let it go for a couple of grand. It even has a sled to drag bou in ;-)

Any new updates on the herd? Success story?

Default Yea, no kidding...

Is this thread dead? I would love to hear from the latest and greatest hunters how it is around CHS; Just had my last final this week and am taking stock in the fact that there needs to be some moose or 'bou to balance out the freezer...

Default Both hunts closed

If I heard right, the Steese is closed (party due to the high cow kill) and the Taylor highway closed last night. No more chance to hunt it until next fall.