Thread: Ducks and spawning salmon

Default Ducks and spawning salmon

I would like to get everyone's opinion on this.

Will ducks hang out in the same hole as spawning salmon?

If I have a nice deke spread that otherwise looks good, but there are silvers zipping around stirring things up, am I wasting my time?

HH

Default Salmon & Ducks

I've never found the presence of spawing salmon to be a hinderance to ducks using an area. In fact one of my favorite duck hunting spots can be lousy with spawning silvers and the ducks dont seem to mind at all.

I have watched silvers bump up ducks at Leaf Lake. The big fish swim around in circles and eventually they hit a bird or get close enough to push them off the water. The birds typically flew just a few hundred yards or less and set back down. Sometimes in my decoys, most times not.

Will a duck actually set down while silvers are swimming around your decoys? It might not. Maybe the overflying bird looks down and sees his cousins sitting there with fish swimming around them and not leaving and think "those idiots, I'm not going down there with them."

I would be inclined to think the added motion in the spread might actually help, unless maybe the hole is jammed with hundreds of fish.

Fish eggs = duck food, thoughts???

I once shot a beautiful full color drake mallard in Cold Bay. When I picked it up a bunch of decaying salmon flesh fell from its mouth.

The bird stunk so bad that it was inedible and if I had mixed it in with my geese and brant it would have made them smell horrible.

After that I decided to pass up shooting mallards at Cold Bay.

I suspect that ducks that like hanging with spawning salmon might be worthless except as targets.

Default Ducks and Salmon

I have shot mallards that were full of salmon eggs when you cleaned them. They tasted like that when I cooked them. I won't shoot them if I know they have been up eating in spawning beds. Yuk!

-TJ

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    I once shot a beautiful full color drake mallard in Cold Bay. When I picked it up a bunch of decaying salmon flesh fell from its mouth.

The bird stunk so bad that it was inedible and if I had mixed it in with my geese and brant it would have made them smell horrible.

After that I decided to pass up shooting mallards at Cold Bay.

I suspect that ducks that like hanging with spawning salmon might be worthless except as targets.
    Watching the mallards at Centennial Park and Soldotna creek pick at salmon carcasses and roe made me think they might taste like any low-life fish duck.

Thanks guys. I know they will eat eggs and decayed flesh, I have seen that many times too. Disgusting.

Sounds like once again its a matter of being on the X, and you'll have good hunting, if not good eating haha.