Thread: One Fairbanks disabled vet bags a bull

Default One Fairbanks disabled vet bags a bull

...and the second one does not:
    http://www.adn.com/interior-alaska/story/970339.html

What a great story. Tough guys, those two. In their blind from 4am to 10pm each day.

Most interesting part was the guy who didn't get a moose. Having a shot at a nice bull opening morning he declined it, due to the range. At his age and condition its most likely he'll never ever again see a bull in the crosshairs.

It took a lot of the right stuff to not pull the trigger then, and he's obviously got it.

Good on the Army Corps of Engineers and John Schaake for running this event.

Always a good story when a Vet gets his due for doing what 9 out of 10 youth today won't do.

Thumbs up tougher for the Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Always a good story when a Vet gets his due for doing what 9 out of 10 youth today won't do.
    Yes, AND its tougher for the vet because he's pretty assured to never get another chance, while the youth is 100% assured that he WILL get another chance.

That vet, Ladd McBride, is an inspiration I think.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Wow, inspirational. I work for the VA and its great to hear a good story. I wonder if there are programs for other disabled to go hunting.

Default Great Story

I did read the story and it's great to hear 2 vets that got to hunt.

However, I have to disagree with Family Man. The youth MAY think they are 100% assured of a hunt next year BUT "the future belongs to no one".

This was a great hunt that i had the privileged of "attempting" although I was one of the vets that had to leave early, it was a great time shared by all.. and it was quite a surprised to get called.. I did miles of walking and only saw "nuby" the almost bull. but declined the shot. Ladd is a great guy and takes really good photos. I do have pictures.. hang on and ill post them when I find them ..

that was not the only moose harvested ,, The PVA outdoor heritage fund did have a soldier get one early in the hunt by boat

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs up

Nice hunt and photo's.

Congrats to the hunters and all those helping out !!

For what its worth, it makes me Proud of all involved !!

Default I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    However, I have to disagree with Family Man. The youth MAY think they are 100% assured of a hunt next year BUT "the future belongs to no one".
    You are right and I was wrong, and thank you for pointing that out; it is important. Our right of hunting is not assured, and is something that we must continue to to work towards, and not cavalierly assume, as my post did seem to say. Darn me. Good catch Phil.

My mistatement was meaning that anyone young that can and does hunt with vigor in future years will be 100% assured, which I do believe.

Wow, what a moving story. These guys deserve every good thing that can happen to them.

Its good to know there are programs out there for disabled hunters and everyone that is a part of it is doing a great job!

I am currently in the military and aside from being killed, being disabled and no longer being able to do activities with my children/spouse and not being able to enjoy the outdoors like I have grown used to weighs heavily on my mind at times.