Thread: Reloader 17 in 300 WSM

Question Reloader 17 in 300 WSM

anyone tried RL 17 with 150gr TSX in the 300 WSM

Default In 300 Win Mag

Nope, but I tried it in 300 Win Mag, 72.5 gr as per the Alliant Reloader recipe in their manual, using Sierra GKBT 165gr bullets and CCI200 primers. I was shooting in a SS Ruger M77 MKII sporter with laminate stock, Weaver Grand Slam 3-9 X 40 and achieved 1.25" groups. Not as good as I would prefer.

I'd solicit some input from MontanaRifleman. He's done more with the .300WSM than anybody else I'm aware of. I believe he's used RL17 quite a bit and posted results in old threads (might try back searching)... he'll probably be along shortly but I'd PM him if he's not.

It's said to be a match made in shooting heaven by everyone I have talked to. I don't have a 300wsm but it worked very well in my 308s, try it on and see what you think.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default 165

I tried it with 165's and was getting phenomenal velocity, but the accuracy wasn't there. Going to back off and try it again when my schedule lets me get back to the range.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'd solicit some input from MontanaRifleman. He's done more with the .300WSM than anybody else I'm aware of. I believe he's used RL17 quite a bit and posted results in old threads (might try back searching)... he'll probably be along shortly but I'd PM him if he's not.
    I haven't tried it with 150's yet, but I tried it with 168 TTSX'x, 180 E-Tips and 210 Bergers. I got better than "average" speeds with the TTSX'x and incredible velocities with the E-Tips and Bergers. I posted those as 3193 for the E-Tips and 2935 for the Bergers. Since then I got another Chrony (Pact Alpha) to comparw with my older Prochrono which I recorded the velocities with. The Alpha read anywhere from 10-50 fps slower than the old Prochrono within the same load on several occasions.. My guess is the Alpha is most accurate so I'm guessing the actual velociteis are about 3160 for the E-Tips and 2900 for the Bergers. Still very fast for those bullets out of a WSM.

As far as accuracy... they were shot ouf my Sako Finnlight which has never shot anything good and the best groups I got out of that rifle were with the 180 E- Tips and 210 Bergers.

I'm sure accuracy will vary from rifle to rifle.

I would recommend givng the RL17 a try with the 150's, but I think for the burn rate range of 17, it will probably be a little more efficient with some hevier bullets. I know of another guy who got 3350 with the 168 TTSX's, but I was only able to get about 3100. Go figure....

-MR

P.S. I got great results in my Sendero 25-06 with 110 AB's and 115 Ballistic Silvertips. Velocities were 200 fps plus faster than any other powder I saw listed for those. Great accuracy too. Just got my buck antelope this morning with the 115 Silvertip. Thread to follow in a few days.

I have loaded 165g accubonds with some RL17. Seemed to be about the same accuracy as my other loads, maybe a bit better, but it did seem to give me an extra 100fps over anything else I have loaded for it. I'll take that. I haven't played with it too much as I am in AK and my reloading setup is in MN, and I only messed with it for a day or two when I was home for a week this summer. From what I saw though it seemed to show a lot of promise.

I shot a tree starting at 61 grains through 66 grains with 180gr TTSX wout of my browning. I had great speed increases over the RL19 (412fps)but accuracy wasnt as good as I hoped. It wasnt bad, but I have a sub 1" at 200 yards with the RL19 and just over 2" with the RL17.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I shot a tree starting at 61 grains through 66 grains with 180gr TTSX wout of my browning. I had great speed increases over the RL19 (412fps)but accuracy wasnt as good as I hoped. It wasnt bad, but I have a sub 1" at 200 yards with the RL19 and just over 2" with the RL17.
    I think different rifles will like different bullet/powder combos. I shot a .63" group (4 out of 5, the fifth shot was a flyer that got blown off from a 20 mph gust of wind) @ 212 yds with RL17 pushing 115 gr silver ballistic tips @ 3385 fps out of my 25-06. Three of the bullets measured .18"

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I think different rifles will like different bullet/powder combos. I shot a .63" group (4 out of 5, the fifth shot was a flyer that got blown off from a 20 mph gust of wind) @ 212 yds with RL17 pushing 115 gr silver ballistic tips @ 3385 fps out of my 25-06. Three of the bullets measured .18"
    I completely agree, was just offering up what I experienced in my rifle. I will say that I was only 95fps under your 25-06 rounds with the 180 TTSX rounds which kind of surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I completely agree, was just offering up what I experienced in my rifle. I will say that I was only 95fps under your 25-06 rounds with the 180 TTSX rounds which kind of surprised me.
    That is interesting... in my 300 WSM I got a lot less velocity out of the 168 TTSX's than you got out of the 180 TTSX's. But it was a cloudy evening when I chrony'd those. The 180 E-Tips seemed to do better than the 168 TTSX's.

95 less than my 25-06... 3385 - 95 = 3290 for 180 gr bullets... WOW! That is approaching 300 RUM velocites.

Default Reloader 17

Crono my 300 WSM the 150 TSX was getting 3300 FPS with 69.3 of RL 17 FC 215GM primers and FC nickle brass.......accuracy was good, seems to prefer 150's over 168 TSX with RL 17.
    Alaska

alaska bush man

Do you have any load data for RL 17 using 165grn nosler accubond for 300 WSM? I just got a couple hundred of the in the mail today. Thanks

Default Montana Rifleman i would like your thought I the load i worked up. it at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I haven't tried it with 150's yet, but I tried it with 168 TTSX'x, 180 E-Tips and 210 Bergers. I got better than "average" speeds with the TTSX'x and incredible velocities with the E-Tips and Bergers. I posted those as 3193 for the E-Tips and 2935 for the Bergers. Since then I got another Chrony (Pact Alpha) to comparw with my older Prochrono which I recorded the velocities with. The Alpha read anywhere from 10-50 fps slower than the old Prochrono within the same load on several occasions.. My guess is the Alpha is most accurate so I'm guessing the actual velociteis are about 3160 for the E-Tips and 2900 for the Bergers. Still very fast for those bullets out of a WSM.

As far as accuracy... they were shot ouf my Sako Finnlight which has never shot anything good and the best groups I got out of that rifle were with the 180 E- Tips and 210 Bergers.

I'm sure accuracy will vary from rifle to rifle.

I would recommend givng the RL17 a try with the 150's, but I think for the burn rate range of 17, it will probably be a little more efficient with some hevier bullets. I know of another guy who got 3350 with the 168 TTSX's, but I was only able to get about 3100. Go figure....

-MR

P.S. I got great results in my Sendero 25-06 with 110 AB's and 115 Ballistic Silvertips. Velocities were 200 fps plus faster than any other powder I saw listed for those. Great accuracy too. Just got my buck antelope this morning with the 115 Silvertip. Thread to follow in a few days.

12/28/10 My name is Todd. email address is rockanice@yahoo.com. Anything you could send my way would be most help full. Got family just outside of Hamilton and Darby Lost horse rd. Thanks for your help!

MontanaRifleman does that sound right? RL17 65.5 grains tikka 24' barrel col 2.84 avg fps 5 shots 3165. No pressure signs no sticky bolt lift. I am NOT using a mag primer. SHould I be? any help would be great. thank you sir!

I'm tellin ya, we need a sticky thread in the reloading forum just on RL-17 Powder. I talked with Alliant awhile back on some loads they aren;t gonna publish, but found by searching the web that guys are testing this powder in cartridges that Alliant won't publish and having some great results. This stuff is like the coming of Jesus in hand loading and we need a spot to share our testing results at. JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

There is a pretty good article in Rifle magazine, Jan 2011 edition titled "Designer Powders: High Octane or Regular" by John Barsness. From what I gathered from the read, it appears like R17 really shines in the short magnums, and a few older cartridges like 243. According to the article, it does not fare as well with the '06. Too long of an article to summerize, but looks like we have more choices than ever now in powders with some unique specilty powders coming out all the time for specific rounds/applications. Looks like I will have to break down and get some R17 for my sons 300 WSM and stick with H4350 or R19 for the 338. I am looking forward to reading some results on some of the other newer powders like Alliants Power Pro Series and Hodgdons Leverevolution. Keep the info coming as it appears we have alot of interest here.

Just broke down today and bought a 5lb jug of R17. Will start working up some loads for 300WSM and Barnes bullets. If it does not work out to be the right powder for my rifle, having a small supply will give me another excuse for purchasing a 375 Ruger as I have read of good results using this powder in it.

I just started utilizing the RL17 in my 300WSM and love it. I am also getting just above 3300 FPS through a 24" barrel. The group sizes are about .75" at 100 yards consistently. I haven't killed anything other than an antelope this year so the actual results on animals has not been seen but I hope to at least fill a deer tag with them this year and will report back. I have had great success with all of Barnes TTSX bullets in various calibers.

Sweet! I just had some 325WSM RCBS dies sneak into the shopping cart at 3 bears yesterday along with the latest Barnes manual... My shop/reloading construction project is nearing completion with drywall going in as I type so it looks like I will get to work up my own loads over the winter! RL17 will be on the menu as it seems to be right at home in the WSM cartridges.