Thread: Long, heavy 6.5 bullets

Default Long, heavy 6.5 bullets

I'm building a 6.5-06 AI, and I'm interested in the 156 Norma Oryx and 160 Sierra Pro-Hunter for possible either caribou or moose loads. My twist of 1:8" should work. Any long 6.5 bullet reloaders out there with experience on these two animals?

The only thing even close is a 175 Nosler from a 7x57 @ around 2500 fps. I load them for a friend as "brush" rounds for deer, but he has taken three moose, one shot each, with them over the years. I doubt you could ever get him to shoot anything else.

No experience with those Fremont, but the Europeans use them at lower velocities from the 6.5 mannlicher and swede with excellent results. Good luck!

Default 6.5-06ai

fremont,

I have a 6.5-06 AI and load 156 grain Oryx bullets to a velocity of about 2900 fps. I 've never taken a caribou or moose with it but have taken one good elk and a couple of good mule deer. Never recovered a bullet, they all left big holes then punctured the landscape beyond. One shot each from 120 yds to 275ish. I'm sure it would do a number on a 'bou and about '06 performance on moose.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?