Thread: Non-guided Float Fishing Trip

Default Non-guided Float Fishing Trip

I am planning a 2010 fishing trip, and am very seriously considering one of the so called do it yourself trips where the outfitter supplies the camping equipment and boat, drops you off and picks you up at the end - no guides along the way

I have seen a couple of outfitters working out of Bethel advertising trips on various rivers in the southwest, as well as trips advertised for the Copper river area (Gulkana and Klutina).

I am looking for the following on this trip:
    • Solitude from the crowds that are present along the road system during the salmon season
    • Moderately priced trip (ie 1500 - 2000) - cannot justify $5000 for one of the lodges
    • Combination of good salmon and rainbow fishing
    Any knowledge about the best rivers/areas of the state for such a trip would be appreciated, along with any personal experience on this kind of a trip would be appreciated.

I'd reccomend not going to the first place the outfitter tells you, chances are everyone else goes there too. Put in some time do some research and you might find a gem. Look at maps, look at ADF&G's website. Google is your friend

That being said
    The gulkana can be an awesome float for sure, as with a ton of other rivers that are pretty accessable, but you won't be alone.

Oh and make sure you are sure of your gear and your rowing abilities, its not nice to tempt nature especially up here. The Gulk and the Klut are big powerful rivers with some tricky spots, do not take them lightly.

Oh also the copper river system is not exactally known for great rainbow fishing... I've heard of good dolly fishing in the klutina and had a ton of fun with grayling on the gulkana, but haven't heard of just stellar rainbow fishing, they are around but those rivers are not on my top ten list of places to go for trout.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I will be happy to talk with you about float trips. We do one each year and it is a great way to see Alaska. Shoot me a PM for more details. It is easy as pie man. You just need to pick out the right river for your abilities/interest. Tell me more about your experience on the water, goals, trip timing, etc.. in the PM and I will fill your ear full. I love talking float trips.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsoninohio View Post
    I am planning a 2010 fishing trip, and am very seriously considering one of the so called do it yourself trips where the outfitter supplies the camping equipment and boat, drops you off and picks you up at the end - no guides along the way

I have seen a couple of outfitters working out of Bethel advertising trips on various rivers in the southwest, as well as trips advertised for the Copper river area (Gulkana and Klutina).

I am looking for the following on this trip:
    • Solitude from the crowds that are present along the road system during the salmon season
    • Moderately priced trip (ie 1500 - 2000) - cannot justify $5000 for one of the lodges
    • Combination of good salmon and rainbow fishing
    Any knowledge about the best rivers/areas of the state for such a trip would be appreciated, along with any personal experience on this kind of a trip would be appreciated.
    Well - a couple main points for the uninitiated in this sort of thing:

1. the "no guides" and "solitude" criteria are just about non-existent, and that includes the vast majority of remote systems in Alaska. There will be guided float trips on every river you will be on; and most of those will have lodges in the lower river as well. Which means jet boats. So expect to see people - and hear jetboats, unless you go later, like in September, after most of these operations close.

2. the "combination of good salmon and rainbow fishing"; get over the thing with rainbows in Alaska. Yes, there are some, but those systems are pounded by guides; and the rainbows aren't really the focus of fishing in even the best-known systems. Other species of fish are more numerous, and easier to catch. If you go into this expecting you will catch poster-boy rainbows in the heat of battle with guided clients in mid-summer, you will likely be disappointed. If you wait until september, you will have a much better chance for this species, as well as for silvers - which can run later in some years (this varies).

3. biting insects through august; if that's something you want to avoid; go later.

4. low water potential in mid summer during some years; involving dragging your raft and all of your equipment over cobble bars. If that's something you want to avoid; go later.

5. many people in summer at lodges, and on guided floats. If that's something you want to avoid; go later. Like not until September when the lodges close.

6. it rains alot later in the year; and can blow out a river for several days. If you go later, the risk of this increases proportionately (this can also happen at any other time)

Default Background?

Any more hints about your background - rafting experience, remote camping experience, and how many in your group/traveling alone, etc? Where have you done trips before?

I sent a PM a few days back asking for the same info

Seems he is MIA
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default do it yourslf

Check out www.dukeoutdoors.com they have do-it yourself DVD's. very informative.

I would highly recomend watching them.

Ray

Those dvds are in the forum store if I am not mistaken. They used to be at any rate. Float trips for kings with bait casters was the game. They did dvds for Talachulitna, Lake Creek, Holitna, and the Aniak. Perhaps not the right rivers for a first float trip in Alaska. There are far less challenging rivers I would suggest for a first timer. Well, I would suggest them if anyone would send me a PM Ha ha... Looks like a drive by post.