Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A country hard on this old man

Default A country hard on this old man

A COUNTRY HARD ON OLD THIS OLD MAN

As I arrived in Arizona at the foot hills of The Apache National Forrest there was magic in the air and great expectations. What a beautiful country that would prove to be hard on this old man. I had worked all summer exercising by running, weight lifting and steps. Well, it is a good thing I did because I can't image making any of the country and chase on this one bear I saw with out the effort I put forth during the summer.

Hunted 5 full days and half of another one seeing only one bear and never getting a shot. The first day we went in 26 miles on four wheelers and hiked four miles on foot when we got there. Here are pictures of the first day.

Me looking out of an old cowboys cabin built in the 1930's

When I looked out the window this is what I saw
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Big snake and my friend Mickey killed it.

Look at the poison that leaked out of his fangs on the rock

Second day

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Third, Fourth and Fifth day - Fourth day we chased the only bear for half a day trying to cut him off since you can not bait in Arizona and we covered five miles in the chase that took us in and out of canyons and up and over ridges. I took four advil when I went to bed and two ours later took four more just to get to sleep and have relief from my knees. Yes, a Country HARD ON ME - AN OLD MAN.

This is the fifth time I have been there and only once have I been able to take a shot on a bear and get him. I love the hunt and this was by far the toughest I have been on in a long time.

When we were chasing that big boy on the fourth day I dove off into a deep canyon to try and drive him out. I went at least a half mile down that canyon and it was very rough with many places for the bear to hide. The bear went up and out because I could see where he went up by the torn up ground. I was so tired and new that if I did not climb out up this steep side it would cost me at least 45 minutes to an hour of time and I would be out of the hunt. Well guys, that was one steep side and I was shot when I got to the top. Fell in that canyon twice and put 7 marks on the stock and one on the barrel of my 358Win. My rifle was baptized in the ways of Arizona

Time for coffee and lunch break

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My two friends Mickey on the left and Jim on the right

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes another one I found

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I HAD A GREAT TIME EVEN WITH THE DISCOMFORT

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Awesome pics Beartooth, as always.

I enjoyed the pictures and the story...looks like you had a memorable time

Thanks, I love taking pictures and yes I did have a great time hunting and having fellowship with my friends.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great pics and a good time are hard to beat. I'll never go back to that type of country again but there is beauty all across America once off the beaten trail. Did Ya'll fry up the snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Great pics and a good time are hard to beat. I'll never go back to that type of country again but there is beauty all across America once off the beaten trail. Did Ya'll fry up the snake?
    Absolutely, a man can not let something that good go to waste when out in the wild and hungry.

The first rattler we eat for breakfast the next day and the second one we eat for the evening meal the day we killed it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That sure looks like the Chiricahua's to me. I cut my hunting teeth a little east and south of there in the 50's.

Nice country.

Tough country.

We got a few bears over the years, mostly while on horseback chasing cats or deer.

That's my home country all along the Mogollon Rim, I grew up in that cob rough stuff. Mostly about 100 air miles west along the rim but it's the same all the way well into New Mexico. Can’t tell you how many people I have warned before a hunting trip about just how rough it is and they never believe till about noon of day one! They think if a fat man like me can do it they are all set not realizing I grew up in it, my feet don’t fit a sidewalk they fit that country like a rock footed mule. They find that nothing is flat and everything sticks, pokes, or bites you . . . and with the altitudes even air can play hard to get.

I love it and would never have moved if it weren’t for all the Californians’ bringing their stupid laws to Arizona. Like no more bear baiting that you talked of, used to be spring in Arizona meant bate station setup time.

Thanks for the great pictures and sorry you got skunked, but as you know you don't go there for an easy hunt. You hunt there for the challenge of it knowing the critter will often win the day. Just makes it all the more sweet when you get it done!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Are you making some boots or a holster?

What's the little wall in the pic of the second snake?

If you have any acoustic instruments, throw the rattles in them.

I'm not sure where that came from but I've always done it.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

ADfields, you have described that country perfectly. This is my fifth time and only one bear to show for it but it is the hunt that keeps bringing me back.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Are you making some boots or a holster?

What's the little wall in the pic of the second snake?

If you have any acoustic instruments, throw the rattles in them.

I'm not sure where that came from but I've always done it.
    Phish Finder, not making any boots or holster but the second snake was killed at an abandoned ranch that was built in the late 1800's, nothing rots there it just hangs around for ever.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, what was the weather/temperature like while you were out there? Did it get very hot? And what did you do for drinking water... bring it with on the wheelers or filter etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Beartooth, what was the weather/temperature like while you were out there? Did it get very hot? And what did you do for drinking water... bring it with on the wheelers or filter etc...?
    Two days were upper 80's for highs and the rest were under 70 for highs with one day only at 62. Brought water but in my pack I had Clorox and apple cider vinegar (put 10 eye dropper drops in a bottle of water a long with 10 drops of vinegar and wait five minutes to kill all bacteria) if I had to use river water. Not the greatest tasting but better than dying from "Ekoli" bacteria.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Some pretty nice pictures. I sometimes think they should have called AZ the Rocky State instead of the Grand Canyon Sate.
    Nice Blacktail you have there. Not sure of the other one, probably a Blacktail too.
    My son and I came across a Arizona Black yesterday north of Lake Roosevelt.
    Going to have it with dinner tomorrow. Temps have definately been on the warm side.

Great post BT, looks like you had a great trip even without the bear. Brings back a lot of memories. I lived in Mesa for three years back in the early 70s and chased deer in that country during two seasons. My dad had a heart attack up there during the second season. I got him down OK and he recovered, ready to go the next year, but it was quite an experience.

The rattlesnakes are sure a part of that country. We hunted quail out near the Superstitions east of Mesa and usually killed more snakes than birds. The last deer season that I was there, we hunted up on the north rim of the Grand Canyon near an old lava flow. I have never seen them so thick as in that place. I will leave them to you for table fare though, I have tried them a couple of times, but the more I chewed the bigger it got. Great pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast