Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Chugach Sheep Hunts

  1. #1
    Member Ken R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    149

    Default Chugach Sheep Hunts

    Anybody have hunts this year that they can compare to past years? I went out this year for the first time since 2002 and the sheep numbers I encountered were dismal. Granted I only went out for 3 days and covered less area than in 2002. I talked to a couple people who had flown it extensively for their hunts this year and reported the same results. Anybody else see a massive decline in the areas they hunted?

  2. #2
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Biologist's said the same thing. Sheep numbers were down just about everywhere this year.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    We saw LOTS of sheep and plenty of rams, but only one full curl ram that bugged out of the area the day before season opened. For the number of rams we saw, the ratio of legal sheep was certainly dismal.

  4. #4

    Wink

    Today there is no comparison to what there once was. Sheep are the main course for the wolves in the Chugach's. There is little else for them to eat on, now that they got the moose killed out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There is little else for them to eat on, now that they got the moose killed out.
    Mmm-hmm. I might note that I saw lots of moose as well.

    Wolves certainly do prey on sheep, and I came across multiple piles of scat with white hair in it to indicate that. There is still plenty of other food for them, though.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Mmm-hmm. I might note that I saw lots of moose as well.
    Not as compared to what there once was. Yet, I repeat myself. The heaviest moose concentrations in the Chugachs are in the Anch foothills, Eagle River and Eklutna Drainages. Elsewhere they are taking it in the hocks.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    The motto was, for every sheep you take you should take a wolf or more, but I never see them around when I'm sheep hunting? I'm gonna look for some this winter....just point me in the right direction!

  8. #8

    Default That would be GREAT!

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    The motto was, for every sheep you take you should take a wolf or more, but I never see them around when I'm sheep hunting? I'm gonna look for some this winter....just point me in the right direction!
    If that would happen! I will try to do my best to help everyone out. I figured I've got over 100 wolves under my belt for about 10 rams!

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If that would happen! I will try to do my best to help everyone out. I figured I've got over 100 wolves under my belt for about 10 rams!
    100 wolves? Man, that's some great success you've had! I've got four days over the Thanksgiving holiday with no plans, so if you've got ideas for me, I'm all ears. I've only taken one wolf so far, so I've got some catching up to do.

  10. #10
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    100 wolves? Man, that's some great success you've had! I've got four days over the Thanksgiving holiday with no plans, so if you've got ideas for me, I'm all ears. I've only taken one wolf so far, so I've got some catching up to do.

    You are a Teacher!...add it to your curriculum or training plan then schedule several field trips with your class!

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    You are a Teacher!...add it to your curriculum or training plan then schedule several field trips with your class!
    Yeah, I can see it now... "Come along, my 145 students...let's sneak through the woods and try to find a wolf. Turn off your iPods, and make sure you wear your camo flip-flops so that we can blend in."

    Maybe I can get paid leave for professional development. Since I teach Biology, I can call it "field research".

  12. #12

    Default Brian, must clarify

    that is from trapping!!! But it all adds up the same! I've only shot a couple over the years. I try to do my own version of predator control while trapping! Doesn't work as they are very smart creatures!

  13. #13
    Member AK Wonderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Saw my first wolves in the Chugach last weekend. Two wolves going over a snow capped mountain at 3,000 feet. Also saw a black bear circling 50 yards below a goat at over 3,000 ft. along Turnagain Arm. The goat had an eye on him though. So the predators are definately hunting the high country.

    I hate to hear guides or others say they've flown countless hours scouting the Chugach, then wonder why they can't find any legal rams. Maybe because this has taken place for years and and all the breeding rams are scouted out and killed every year.

    Can't remember but didn't they eliminate the ewe tags this year? That's s step in the right direction.

    I saw around 150 sheep while hiking in the Chugach this year. Of the ones I was close enough to get a good look at, I one legal rams and one borderline.

  14. #14
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post

    Can't remember but didn't they eliminate the ewe tags this year? That's s step in the right direction.
    Yep, they did. They also eliminated the provision whereby those with a ram tag could also shoot a ewe. Probably a good idea. Those with archery any-sheep tags can still harvest ewes (I think), but that's it.

    Northway - Oh, I figured it was trapping, but still, that's quite an impressive take over the years. I haven't tried trapping wolves, but my understanding is that it's not very easy. Well done, sir.

  15. #15

    Default wolves

    They are crafty creatures for sure! If they are in the area, they are much easier to put on stretchers! The ones that come through once in awhile are the hard ones! It is a great challenge to say the least!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •