Thread: Where to find Paraffin wax in Anchorage?

Default Where to find Paraffin wax in Anchorage?

I am getting ready to make a couple different bullet lubes at home, and I am short paraffin wax. Does anyone know where to get some in anchorage? It is usually canning wax, baking wax or some candle making wax. I looked at Fred Meyer, Wal Mart, and the PX- nothing. They all had canning jars and lids, but no wax.

Also where can you get Beeswax? I am going to try 2 different lubes- Barry Darr's Lube, and my own Speed Green if you were wondering.......

Thanks Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I am getting ready to make a couple different bullet lubes at home, and I am short paraffin wax. Does anyone know where to get some in anchorage? It is usually canning wax, baking wax or some candle making wax. I looked at Fred Meyer, Wal Mart, and the PX- nothing. They all had canning jars and lids, but no wax.

Also where can you get Beeswax? I am going to try 2 different lubes- Barry Darr's Lube, and my own Speed Green if you were wondering.......

Thanks Everyone!
    Tandy Leather on Tudor at Lake Otis has the beeswax but you listed the best paraffin hot spots.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You'll find paraffin with the canning supplies in almost any store that stocks them. It's used to seal jars of jams and jellies. In addition to Tandy, I've seen beeswax in Black Elk Leather. It's also available online. You're likely to get the best price and quantity directly from a bee keeper. This is the time of year they'll be harvesting honey, and there should be plenty available. I know there are several beekeepers in the general Anchorage area, but don't recall who they are. Call the Cooperative Extension Service at the U of A and they can almost certainly put you in contact.

Heck, if you just need a few candles then hit some of the thrift stores. I bought a couple pounds of candles at the Salvation Army store on Northern Lights for about a buck. There's also Value Village and Bishop's Attic though.

Mike

Carrs Safeway?

Found it! Thanks guys!

BTW, has anyone ever used either Darr's lube or Bullshops Speed green? I am going to be using them on bullets for a 16.5" Puma 92 in 454 casull. The 2 molds I have are 255gr RNFP, and a 300 gr WFNGC. The 255 will be more of a plinking load over unique and the 300 I am going to work up with Lil Gun for a hunting load.