Thread: Sling swivel stud

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Sling swivel stud

I wanna drill one little hole in a butt stock, for a sling swivel stud, and I don't wanna get it crooked.

Does anyone have any tips, like something I can use for a jig to keep it aligned properly?

Any help would be appreciated

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

With a hand drill:
    Spring clamp or tape something like a wire to the but plate to use as a visual reference, it can be bent to whatever angle you need. Then you go slow and look at the algle of the bit and wire from at least 2 angles to keep things lined up. Be sure to use a brad point bit that won’t follow the wood grain and track off on you.

If you want to come by and use my drill press just give a holler, 745-1904.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Eye ball the location carefully, use a center punch to prevent the drill from walking and then just be careful to keep it straight. It is not difficult. Good luck. J.

If you don't have a bit for installing studs you can do a shallow countersink or I'll mail you one to use if you will send it back.

If you don't have a jig, gently vise your rifle so the surface you're going to drill on the stock is level in the vise. This will help you drill straight down into the stock. File a small flat where you want to drill for the swivel stud, this way you won't be drilling into a curved surface. Tap the point of a drill bit, nail, or screw into the flat to mark and start the drill point so it doesn't "walk" when you start drilling. Usually I sight from the rear of the buttstock to the trigger guard or lever to get the drill running square and perpendicular to the line of the stock. Use a 3/32" bit for your initial hole, countersink with a 5/32" about 1/8" deep. Or you can buy a B-square jig and countersink set out of Brownells or one of the other guys and take the guesswork out of it. Good luck! Because luck can be more important than skill. (GUNBUGS)

oops, that should read 5/32'' for the initial hole and 7/32" for the countersink.

Thanks everyone for the tips and ideers:
    AND, the offers of help.

I was lookin for something, or someway to make a jig. (tube-like that I can line up and fasten to the stock)

The best option I have now, is my small vise to hold the stock onto a drill press that I have access to.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I take a 2x6 as long as the stock and screw 2x2s down both sides to make a trough the stock will fit good and snug into with a fluffy towel as padding. I use small ratchet straps to tie the stock fast to the jig at the correct angle, 90 degrees in your case. Then the 2x6 can be clamped to the table of my drill press or a mill and the table adjustments can be used to fine tune the placement as well as angle. Don’t forget to use a brad point bit, nothing worse than watching as a 90 degree bit follows the growth rings after all the setting up to control the aim.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I saw an old Glenfield 60 at a farm auction once with a sling afixed. It seems a couple of fence staples will work. I got a whole bucket full. Want me to send ya a couple! Hey, there galvanized and won't rust! Just a thought.

AD:
    Hmm, that idea has some merit. I'm considering.

EKC:
    Naw,,

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Or you could drill a 1/2" hole through the stock side to side and tie a piece of 3/8" yellow polypro rope through it and around the barrel. Sweeet. Sadly, I'm not just making this up. I've seen this on more than one occasion.