Thread: Geese in the valley question

Default Geese in the valley question

I have been up here 7 years and really haven't waterfowled much, at least not like I did in the lower 48. How late are the geese expected to be around the valley? I was sort of under the impression they left pretty early but saw around 300 yesterday in Palmer at the fairgrounds. I have a great field to hunt with grain, veggie crops, grass and near water. Not a speck of goose sign though; not a track, a feather or a dropping to be found. Have they left or have they not moved through yet? I would love to put my old goose gun back to work.

Mart

While hunting on the Knick side of the flats friday morning we saw a number of big strings of geese flying down the middle of the Knick heading towards the highway just after daybreak. The geese are here now, some years they are just passing through, others years they stay a while, all depending on temp. With it warm i would guess they would stay til it turns cold, but this is a strange year, they are normally gone by this time and often we are frooze out of the ponds by this time also. I'm hoping we get another bunch of birds when it freezes hard in the interior and towards the YK. Again, if it stays warm here they will stick around a bit, if it freezes hard here, they will blow right on through. MAYBE Bud

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I have been up here 7 years and really haven't waterfowled much, at least not like I did in the lower 48. How late are the geese expected to be around the valley? I was sort of under the impression they left pretty early but saw around 300 yesterday in Palmer at the fairgrounds. I have a great field to hunt with grain, veggie crops, grass and near water. Not a speck of goose sign though; not a track, a feather or a dropping to be found. Have they left or have they not moved through yet? I would love to put my old goose gun back to work.

Mart
    Was wondering what kind of grain. Also have you seen geese in this field in the past? It could be that the field is out of the main filght corridor.Or maybe try setting up deeks. As many as you can, and sit and wait. There are still geese here so don't give up just yet. I would drive around the area near your field and see if you can spot geese in other fields. If they seem to be close then it may just be a matter of time.

Duckman,

First year for hunting this field so don't know the flight patterns for the area. It is fairly close to the Knik. The grain is wheat plus they raised various veggies along with hay so the geese do have ample food choices. I set out some shells and Texas rags last night but never saw a bird in the air nor heard one. My first trip out was early morning a few days ago. Never heard or saw a bird and was out till about 1000. The field seems like it should be a natural for a goose area. I got pretty excited Saturday afternoon walking back from the gun show to my truck and saw 300+ geese in the gravel (between the parking lot and the livestock exhibit building) next to the fairgrounds.

Mart

If it's close to the knik then it may not be a corridor issue. So it may just be a matter of time. Dose this field belong to you. Can you leave some deeks out say 2 doz not alot, just enough to maybe pull in a few when your not there. I'm thinks, trying to get them used to seeing birds (deeks) on it. The geese could be flying over when your not there and you just don't know it. Walk around and see if you can spot any goose chit. If you find sign at least you know they use it. I would keep on trying. Good luck.
    Bob
    PS: How big is this field in yards, long/wide and are there tall trees all the way around it. It may just be hidden and the geese don't see it.

Duckman,

The field does not belong to me, I just have permission to hunt it. It is a huge field (several hundred yards long by 3-400 yards wide), geese would have no problem seeing it. As to leaving dekes out for any length of time I would be leary of that. I have seen at least one vehicle scoping out the field with binos while I was in my blind. I think they saw my dekes and were checking them out to see if they were real geese. Thanks for the great advice. I will keep checking the field till I am certain the geese have left the area for the winter. I didn't find any goose droppings when I was out there but will keep checking for it.