Thread: Moving to Homer,AK

Smile Moving to Homer,AK

The wife and I are leaving Vancouver,WA for Homer Oct.25 I did finally land a job and we can't wait to get there. We're seeking any advice as what the best route would to be to getting there. So far we're planning on taking the Alcan highway from Dawson Creek and getting there when we can provided on what the weather does. Asking what's the best places to stay and eat that will be open and is the highway paved all the way. Any major construction going on that would cause any big delays. We're driving a big 26' U-haul towing a car hauler trailer, and the wife will be driving a pickup truck towing a 21' boat. Thanks
    Last edited by RadFisher; 10-11-2009 at 19:06. Reason: mispelling

Congrats on the move to Homer! I'm an hour up the road from there and fish out of there all the time. Hopefully you have some some time to make your drive so you can enjoy it. There really are not many options for what road you are going take. Get yourself a copy of "the Milepost" and that is the bible for that drive. Alot of good info in there and makes for interesting reading as well.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Be Careful!

This time of year that road can be bad. Summit lake pass was snowing insanely when I went through there a month ago. There is only on way to take really so you don't really have any options. I would check canada's transportation site for road conditions, because they will close down roads starting now for snow and ice and avy reasons. It is a beautiful drive. Remember to gas up whenever you can once you get passed Dawson Creek there are only hole in the wall gas stations on the side of lodges. I really mean that gas as much as possible. Even if you have 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank, you don't want to get stuck out there. Buffalo are bad through there as well. And don't forget a good compressor and 2 to 4 cans of fix a flat. My buddy went through there not to long ago and had 3 flats, because alot of the road in the yukon is paved gravel or just gravel road. Use your credit card whenever you buy anything. If you use cash you get raped on the exchange rate, plus your card company does all that for you. If anything else pm me for any more info.

Happy trails!
    Rob

So are you guys saying that the Alaska highway is my only option? What about the Cassier Highway? I thought I read on here in another post that the Alaska highway is all paved. I have a copy of the milespost and have checked it out I also have AAA. Has anyone driven a U-haul truck across any of those routes and had any problems getting service when a problem occurs.

U=hauls go up and down that road all the time. I am sure they will take care of you should you have a problem......eventually! You should be good since you have two vehicles, other wise, make sure you have clothes, gear handy to spen the night in -20 temps should something happen. They generally go over the rigs real good that they let go up and down the road and you should have no issues with it. Do the same with your own rig. Take it in somewhere and tell them what you plan on doing and have them look it over close. As for the Cassier, it is a senic drive, but not the route one generally takes when going from point a to b. Take the main hwy. The gravel sections (sonstruction areas) are generally better in the winter time then summer when worring about flat tires. Once covered by snow and ice, the sharp objects are gone. Also alot smoother in the winter time as well. Just don't be in a huge hurry to get up the road. Like was said above, fuel up every chance you get. Enjoy your trip.

Default Rad-

People go up and down that highway all the time. No fear! One of my student's has a grandmother who just made the trip from Wyoming. She is in here 70s and was traveling alone.
    But true: always wise to fill up every chance you get (especially where it's cheaper) and carry extra tire stuff. Blankets too, should you get sidelined. Maybe a Mr. Heater just in case.
    Haven't driven a U-haul truck up, but have towed U-haul trailers. There are dealers through Canada.

Enjoy the drive. You'll like the peninsula too.

Thanks Guys: I have all the stuff I think I'll need and what you've mentioned. Do have of you know if there's any good Wi-Fi stations along the way for a person to check the weather and road conditions?

I prefer the Cassiar, but last I knew U Haul would not provide service along that highway, only the Al-Can. They didn't say you can't go that way, only that if you did you were responsible for any breakdowns, flats, etc. Ask your U-Haul dealer.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Oh yeah almost forgot!

CB RADIO w/ magnetic antenna! Man those things will save you arse. Alot of fun to, you can go to radio shak and pick up a cheap on for about $40. Truckers are really friendly and always willing to talk or bs about something. I highly recommend you pick one up. Anyways like i said before to just check Canada's transportation website and you will be good to go. Happy truckin'!

Rob

Default Carry Spare Bearings & Hub For Your Boat Trailer

It's alway good to repack your trailer bearings just before you leave and carry spare bearings and seals just in case. Depending on the boat, I would have it shrink wrapped to protect from all the flying materials of the trucks passing you by on the hiway. If you have good mudflaps on your truck you can save a lot of damage from flying rocks hitting your boat.
    Have a good trip - you will enjoy Homer if your an outdoors type.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default U-haul

Quote Originally Posted by RadFisher View Post
    So are you guys saying that the Alaska highway is my only option? What about the Cassier Highway? I thought I read on here in another post that the Alaska highway is all paved. I have a copy of the milespost and have checked it out I also have AAA. Has anyone driven a U-haul truck across any of those routes and had any problems getting service when a problem occurs.
    We drove a U-haul up in 1992 - so this information is dated. We got a flat on the border - literally between the US and Canadian Border Buildings. At the time, they had the road all torn up with construction and the tire just blew to shreds. I hitched a ride back to the Canadian guardshack, got a tow back to the Canadian Border town (I can't remember - Beaver Creek?) and had the tire replaced the next morning. In the end, I think U-haul paid for the tire repair, but it has been a while.

-hiker

Well we made it!!!!!! Left Vancouver,WA Oct,25 and made it to Homer in 8 days. Driving a 26' U-haul towing a car and my wife driving our Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 towing our 21' inboard jet boat. The worse was from Watson Lake to Rancheria where we drove thru 10'' of snow on the road that had'nt been plowed and it was 1 lane and snowing like mad. We did'nt encounter any mishap like flat tires or break downs. All I can say is that God was with us and we're both very happy and relieved to make it. if any of you are traveling to and from Alaska during this winter, just remeber to take it slow and easy on the snow an ice, travel during the daytime, not at night. I did'nt have to use any extra gas, but always carry some. I didn't have snow tires studs or chains, but had lots of weight for both vehicles that helped. Encountered caribou and buffalo, so watch out for them.

Sounds like an adventure you'll both remember. Congratulations on your move.

Welcome to Alaska! Just in time for "the cold".

Watch your expenses. They can be dreadful in the first couple of months as you get to know the area.

You are now acclimated to winter driving. We are not. Tomorrow may be a nasty day to drive. Be careful.

Be very careful driving the Seward Highway. It is earning its reputation.

The people here are awesome. Ask them for their life experience and they willfully give you what they have learned.

Mike