Thread: Which Rifle 243 vs 17

Question Which Rifle 243 vs 17

I was wondering what rifle is better for Predators 243 or Marlin model 17vs for the condition of the fur and the bullet hole? I would like the least damage which one do I use.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Its easier to sew than track JMHO but the 243 would win between the two

Depends on what bullet you use and how far you want to shoot, wind conditions, temperature, are you using shooting sticks, shooting off hand?.....shall I go on?

I'm sure your dad can answer this one Your uncle and I don't shoot either, we have 22-250's .......He gets home in a week, you gonna come hang out?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Yeah

Yeah my dad leaves this week and I will have nothing to do or there is nothing planned so yeah I will most likely be up there hanging out.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

I would say most of Alaska's predators are a little on the big side for an ethical kill with a .17 HMR. Sure, it's been done before but I'll be using a .243 myself, with a 55-75 grain Hornady V-Max. It's a fragmenting bullet that's likely to punch a small hole going in, then expand and fragment without creating an exit hole. I'm sure that's not a guarantee, but to me the .243 offers a good balance between ethical kill potential and pelt preservation.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have a 17 and a 223. The 223 when I am hoping for yotes and larger and anywhere I expect shots over 125 yards. The 17 for yotes and smaller at closer ranges.

I would expect the 243 w/ a v-max to DEVASTATE a fox hide and possibly severely damage a lynx pelt depending on shot placement.

Your .243 was bought so you could shoot fur bearers with a solid and still be able to hunt bigger game with a different bullet. Using the fragmenting bullets will blow a big azz hole in and out on all but wolves and that is debatable it depends on the distance you shoot one.

I guess I should have specified - wolves are what I was eluding to with the V-max. Wouldn't one also have a tendency to dump all energy upon expanding/fragmenting and not create an exit hole?

There's also the consideration of velocity and range to be considered. Some bullets will punch through without sufficient velocity to initiate expansion. I had read that the V-max was very good at expanding adequately at almost any velocity.

I suppose when it comes to hunting predators of various sizes you can't always "have your cake and eat it too". the same bullet and velocity won't work an all predators.

So there's your answer - get 'em both.

Seriously though - the .243 is an extremely versatile cartridge. There is factory ammo availble for just about anything you would want, and if you handload it's even more useful.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    Your .243 was bought so you could shoot fur bearers with a solid and still be able to hunt bigger game with a different bullet. Using the fragmenting bullets will blow a big azz hole in and out on all but wolves and that is debatable it depends on the distance you shoot one.
    hey you got a bunch of those 100 gn partions.... the kids use them here on Hare all the time and they cause very little damage in side 100 yards. load some up and let him burn a few... i have more too..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here