Thread: Reloading military cases vs commercial...again

Default Reloading military cases vs commercial...again

Ok, now that I actually have my AR I'm putting together loads to take to the range. While waiting for the rifle to arrive I did a LOT of reading and pretty much succeeded in only confusing myself. There's lots of info out there advising you to reduce the powder charge in military 5.56 cases by 10% under what you would put into a commercial .223 case. Then again, I've read where Lake City brass is so close to commercial as far as case thickness is concerned that there is no need to reduce loads. My rifle is a RRA with the Wylde chamber so I can shoot either type so the pressure issues of the .223 only chamber is not a player here.

With that in mind, I picked up some brand new Winchester .223 cases and broke out the RCBS scale. I chose 20 random LC unprimed cases and 20 random Winchester unprimed cases, measured them all so as to use only those with a 1.750 case length and this is what I found.

Average weight of Winchester cases---------94.67 gr
    Average weight of Lake City cases-----------92.26 gr
    Average difference---------------------------2.41 gr

What the...?

This is NOT what I expected to find. I fully expected to find the LC brass to be either a bit heavier or just about the same as the Winchester. Why in the heck would the commercial brass be heavier? The additional weight in the same size case tells me that the commercial brass is thicker and that just doesn't make sense.

I'm no expert but this is what I understand and what I do.

Weight isn't everything. Different mixtures of metal can have different weights. It's not just about case thickness, it could be the web is thicker, etc. When I got a bunch of different kinds of brass I cut them all in half lengthwise with a cutoff saw and checked them out.

The best information on the subject is on www.ar15.com, under armory and then reloading section.

My theory is, don't worry about it. I just loaded a full workup for each kind, 5.56 and .223 brass. Took each batch to the range for a chrono session. Then found the charge that gave me good FPS for both types of brass and loaded that charge for all of them. (you know, found the crossover point.

Here is a little light reading for you

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-...rror.htm#cross

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Here is a little light reading for you

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-...rror.htm#cross
    "light reading". LMAO It's gonna be a late night.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=276154

This one is more to the point of your question, I was looking for it earlier but couldn't find it.