Thread: hare jerky

Default hare jerky

Saturday my daughter and I found six hares. I was thinking of making jerky. any one know of a good recipe. I have a food dehydrator and plan to bone them into thin strips, marinate in a brine overnight, then place them in the dehydrator wile at work. does any one have a good bunny brine they would like to share or a particular way to make the jerky taste good?

I've never tried bunny jerky but I made some bunny bacon.
    I mixed brown sugar, salt and maple syrup for a brine than let it sit for a few days until I had time to cold smoke it. Turned out delishious!

Default Well that...

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    Saturday my daughter and I found six hares. I was thinking of making jerky. any one know of a good recipe. I have a food dehydrator and plan to bone them into thin strips, marinate in a brine overnight, then place them in the dehydrator wile at work. does any one have a good bunny brine they would like to share or a particular way to make the jerky taste good?
    ... ought to dehydrate down to about a handful of jerky.

Default Soy Sauce and Cayenne

I soaked some hares and duck strips in low sodium soy sauce, and then sprinkled with cayenne pepper. This worked out for me, I would suggest not soaking in the soy sauce for to long it can get reallllllyyyyy salty.

Default Jerky

It worked OK. Bonned the rabbit, tried to make all the cutts of meat the same thickness, brine was soy sauce & peper left it in for about eight hrs than Put it on the dehydrator over night. Like I said it was ok tasted great but I think I made the cutts to thin and the dehydrator gets to hot, as it was relly dry. I think I will make it more often but thiker meat and shorter cooking time. I got 2 gallon Zipp lock bags of it for all 6 rabbits.

Make that had 2 gallons like I said It was good now I have one gallon. should be gone by the time I get home

Whenever I make jerky (with whatever game meat or fish I am using), I always use some brown sugar in the brine...soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper and dried onions. The sugar gives it a nice glaze and adds flavor, might help with the over-drying problem you had too.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley