Thread: Tent poles breaking on North Face

Unhappy Tent poles breaking on North Face

I have a North Face VE25 with Aluminum poles. After my moose hunt this year I set the tent up in the garage for a good cleaning then left it up to completely air out.

I went into the garage yesterday to tear it down and put it away and what I found was unbelievable.

Two of the four poles had broke. The sections that broke were in the middle of the tent in the tent sleeves. The aluminum split where the two sections meet, the splitting end being the receiving side.

After pulling all the poles out I have looked over all the sections and I found 1 more with a fracture in the same area as the two that had broke.

The guy I bought this tent from had replaced one section of one the other poles already.

This tent has been on one Seward Peninsula Bear hunt, one moose hunt and one trip to Chitina. I am not sure on the weather on the bear hunt, but the the rest of the weather it has seen has been very calm.

Is this something that happens a lot with aluminum poles?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Split poles are usually because the pole sections weren't TOTALLY together when bent. It puts stress on the weakest part of the pole. That thin end. Make sure you carry a pole repair sleeve and maybe even a spare section of pole.

Default See what they say...

Maybe email or call North Face, see what they say. I don't encounter many stories of pole failures; esp aluminum.

North Face might not offer anything but to sell replacements, but sometimes a company goes out of its way to make nice-nice. Kelty once repaired a friend's sunshade after it was chewed on by a brown bear.

Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

any chance you had water in them that froze ?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If TNF won't do anything for you, you can get replacements poles and/or sections from these guys.

http://www.polesforyou.com/