Thread: If a goat falls in the mtns...and no ones there to hear....

Default If a goat falls in the mtns...and no ones there to hear....

Did my first hunt in the wrangells, neat place. thems some man mtns over there though for sure! makes the kodiak goat look like sissies. Had a client bust a goat on day three, weather wasn't that great hunted in snow every day.

goat did a bad turn and took a little skydive, horns are in good shape and hides fine, just busted the skull. not sure if the spread will count for B&C!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Congrats on the goat. Way to get after it. Those Wrangels are impressive mountains.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default That's no joke...

What a goat!!!

NICE GOAT Jake!
    Congrats to you & your hunter.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Nice

What was the horn length? Looks very long. Bad deal if don't qualify for the book. I would never register an animal though, unless it was by far the largest ever taken!

Was it good to be somewhere new? Congrats to the hunter and good job getting him where he needed to be.

Thumbs up

I've found the SE coast mountains tuffer than anywhere in the world I've been.Y'all were for sure in beautiful county. Congrats on the really nice goat and another happy hunter.

Default fall

Way to go Jake. I take it the hunter wasn't able to get into that hole for the recovery. Am I reading into this situation too much ?

I see your Ice axe in use.

I can relate to that situation. I'm sending my single horns to a custom knife maker in WA this week. I'll have a paring knife made from a nanny horn and a skinner from a billy horn.

My partner split the skull of a big 8.5 yr old Billie last year.

I tell people about the difference between the natural (mainland) Mt. Goat populations and the transplants (islands). Those bad boys on the mainland get into some serious mountain country where weather is more of a factor in my opinion. They just inhabit the higher elevations. What was the elevation you were into the goats?

I hope you have a great off season and are able to let your legs recover for another go-round in 2010.

I say score it as it lays.

Great goat Jake, congrats on another successful hunt.

Nice goat. Well done !!
    PC gag in place.

Nice goat Jake and love those pics! Its always good to get out and explore some new ground, or in your case cliffs.

Wow, that thing looks like a bruiser...no pun intended.

Beautiful, rough country, OK, no one else asked, was the goat dead when it fell?

Default horns

Jake,
    What is the horn length. Maybe just the pic but he looks like a monster!!

Default LoL

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Beautiful, rough country, OK, no one else asked, was the goat dead when it fell?
    It might notta been dead when it jumped/fell, BUT it was when it landed !!

GOOD JOB; Jake !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Smile wow!

Pretty darn impressive. If I had tried to retrieve that goat I would have looked worse then his head did after the fall! Those snow and ice covered rocks look like the are just waiting to put a hurt on a guy. Jake you should have been in those Wrangells 50 years ago! You mst be one tough and agile son of a gun!

Rugged country, glad you guys were able to get to the goat, Jake. Another successful hunt, well done!

Default nope!

Didn't hear that great goat fall...but I'm sure it was your waahoo that we heard as it echo thru the mountains. Or possibly it was a groan, when you thought of having to pack that monster out over that leg breaking terrain? Either way, the experience was golden...but not the silence. Take care.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

well the goat was 8.5" on his long side, body size really makes his horns look long. luckly i guessed him almost right on!
    yes he was dead when he fell, or mostly dead i'm sure of that.
    its fun going somewhere new, being able to change it up and work new country off and on is really great, part of the fun. you hunt the same area year after year and it gets a little old. no real suprises left, which is good and bad, variety is nice sometimes.
    be safe out there the rest of the goat season guys, i'm on kodiak now, client busted a little goat yesterday and i've got one more goat hunt left before brown bear season starts.....now if i could only get one of the to fall off a cliff....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Been wanting to hunt that area for a couple years now. Congrats to you and your client.