Thread: Blackhawk compstock vs. muzzle break on 700 XCR

Default Blackhawk compstock vs. muzzle break on 700 XCR

I recently purchased a Remington 700 XCR .375 H&H for my upcoming Kodiak bear hunt. If I am sitting down the recoil is not so bad but I recently found out that if I am a little bit unstable (and not mentally) that it will give me a good shove and throw me off balance. Not ideal when hunting Kodiak bears! Any suggestions on whether I should try a muzzle break or the Blackhawk compstock. Both have been suggested to me recently. I am 5'2" and 125# on a good day so I liked the fact the the gun was relatively light but I need to be able to stay on my feet.

Go to the shooting forum and look back a few pages for a thread on muzzlebrakes. I have HAD rifles in the past with a brake. Never again. They are too loud. It just isn't worth it to ME. I would try to increase the weight of the gun (as the xcrs are rather on the light side anyway) before I would add a brake. If the weight option doesn't work then go to the brake. If you do make darn sure you're ALWAYS using ear protection and be considerate to those around you when you shoot. Good luck on your hunt.

Brett

Everyone shooting the 375 is moved somewhat off balance at the shot. If its not knocking you over you will do fine. You paid for light so other than maybe a better recoil pad just be prepared mentally

The nice thing about a brake, the threaded kind, is if you find it too loud or otherwise inconvenient you can simply unscrew it. The only permanent part is the threads at the muzzle. They are also VERY effective at reducing the recoil.

I would do niether. Practice shooting it more.

I think the stock on the XCR is made by Hogue, correct? I'm not bad mouthing Hogue but I've fitted a couple Remington 700s with H-S Precision stocks and had the factory add a Limbsaver pad. The stocks are both on big boomers and the felt recoil was reduced significantly. I think the Hogue stocks Remington uses also have Limbsaver pads so I really think it mostly has to do with stock design and composition. BTW, you have a very nice rifle there.
    JMHO of course.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

With HS backing an American woman killer Fed I wish they would belly up and go away.

Default Brakes

I am not going to say any thing

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    With HS backing an American woman killer Fed I wish they would belly up and go away.
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I don't have a clue what you are referring to. I don't want to cause this thread to go south, which is where it appears to be headed. Perhaps you could PM the details to me.
    Thanks
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

HS had the FBI sniper that killed Vicky Weaver and most likely is the one who fired the first shot at Waco on the cover of their brochure for their products. There was a big write-in campaign to them and I believe thats why Remington stopped the use of their gun stocks or at least they said they would.Heavy protest came from the NRA on down on HS products.This was right after the small I believe Montana rifle company owner supported OBama.We forget our enemies names to quick

Thanks for the info, I'll do more research on this. I'm very familiar with what went on at Ruby Ridge; I'm a transplant from Northern Idaho. I had no knowledge of H-S Precision placing Lon ( if my memory serves me correctly, sorry I've forgotten her last name) on the cover of their brochure. However, I am aware of Cooper Firearms s*** canning Dan Copper for his support of 'the chosen one'.

Thanks again for the info.

I have a Vais Arms brake on my 375 Ruger and it works quite well.

Brakes in general are loud and ear protection is necessary. This particular brake design is quieter than others I've shot with.

I can't say for sure how much reduction is achieved but I can shoot twenty plus rounds with no discomfort.

I recently put one on a Christensen Arms 300RUM and it's very tame. The brake that came on the rifle was louder than the Vais. I replaced the original break do to accuracy issues. The rifle shoots .75" 200 yards groups with the Vais break and point of impact is the same when removed, very good design.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

If you are talking about one of the stocks that blackhawk makes that has the spring system in it, I say go with the stock. I was able to fire a friends rifle in 338 wm with one on it and was rather inpressed with the amount of reduction in the felt recoil.

Looks interesting to say the least. I imagine it's heavy.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...ck,218,166.htm