Thread: Bobcat killing chickens

Default Bobcat killing chickens

Hi, I have a question, down here in Texas where I now live. Would a bobcat after killing a chicken..would it rake brush, leaves, sticks, etc. up and cover the animal if if did not eat it all? We had something to jump our 5 foot tall chicken pen, then rip a chicken out of the house and then carry it off in the woods, then eat half of the chicken and cover up the other half. We found the remains of 6-8 other chickens in the same condition in a 50 foot circular area behind our pen in the woods. Any ideas of what animal would be able to do all of this down here in Texas??

Default I've never been to Texas, but..

Sounds like a cat of some sort. What other predators do you have there that might do this?

Default Bobcat killing chickens?

We have bobcats, skunks, racoons, the occasional mountain lion that is passing through. I found a small faint track a lot bigger than a house cat but smaller than what I think a mountain lion track looks like. Whatever it is that is doingthis we found 6-7 remains of chickens that were partially eaten and then covered over with brush.

Default probably a bobcat

but y'all have chupacabra down there too, dontcha?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I bet you could put a leg hold on the 1/2 eaten carcass and catch it in short order.

Supporting Member

Default Chicken-killer

Based upon your description of the remains (covered), the culprit is definitely a cat. If the tracks resemble a common house cat but are two to threee times larger, think bobcat. If the tracks are the size of your clenched fist or larger, think mountain lion. I would put my money on it being a bobcat, simply because the size of the prey seems too small to interest a mountain lion (unless it was a juvenile). Bigger cat means bigger appetite which equates to a need for larger prey.
    Should be pretty easy to catch with a couple of well-placed foot-hold traps. Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we had lynx getting into our game birds pen years ago.. we took a heavy line of balck and red pepper around the pen...

about 2 am the most god awful screeching was heard.... and never had another problem with it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default If it appears to jump

the fence in the same area, set a foothold in front of a wing on a wire near that spot. If they aren't returning to their caches I think this would be a higher percentage set.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

A navy seal living here in Kodiak had a chicken coop and a brown bear got into it the other night killing all the chickens and burying some of them. He contacted fish and game on if he could kill it if it returned and they gave him the ok. The next night he sat outside with night vision goggles and the bear returned, that bear wont be eating chickens anymore!!

Supporting Member

Default Chicken-killing bear

Got to love those Navy Seals. Go Navy!
    SCPO, USN (Ret)

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I had a tent camp for fisherman this year for silvers.
    I bought one of those electric fences for bears. It worked great the bears would walk around it but didn't come in the camp. I seen maybe 10 bears..
    When i move to my cabin i am defenatly going to put the electric fence around the chicken coop 6 to 8000 volts from a small 12 volt battery and last six weeks on a charge they even have a small solar panal you can get...

I was watching a show on Natgeo the other night, and the lynx in russia covered a deer after they had enough to eat.

A very nice "training" method for cats if you don't want to or can't kill it, is to place a sheet of clear plexiglass at the top of the fence where it is entering. Cats don't understand the concept of clear barriers and jumping into it a time or two will teach it to move on.

Set up a video camera, cuz this is a rather funny learning experience to watch.

Alternatively (and often cheaper) is to just install an electric horse fence wire about 8-10" above the top of the existing fence. Crank up the voltage as high as it will go. Good teaching tool.

I like the idea of the NVG and rifle method, though!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!