Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Back-Up Sidearms?

Default No Back-Up Sidearms?

I'd like to hear some comments from REAL Alaskans about this :
    It seems pretty well established that you don't go unarmed into the Alaskan backcountry. But, even my wife has noticed that on hunting and fishing shows, "North to Alaska" in particular, you never see anyone carrying a sidearm. Is Larry Csonka that tough and intimidating that he doesn't need protection? Or is this just more PC crap from the TV networks?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I almost always carry a handgun in addition to my preferred longarm. That's because of the nasty tendency for trouble to start while you've laid down the longarm and walked away from it. You don't see mine though, because I'm not carrying it on my belt where it will be snagging in brush or getting wet. Might as well carry a cell phone and call Dial-A-Prayer instead though, if you don't shoot it well enough to do the job.

Default Good idea!

Not sure exactly whose input you're after ("REAL Alaskans"), but if a transplant/resident will do...

Larry Csonka just might be tough enough, I don't know. As much as one might hear or read about carrying guns, spray... guns,... spray... or anything else, a few people spend time in the woods with no "bear protection".

Good idea Mr. Csonka has though. If more of us could carry a camera/light/sound crew with us into the woods, we would. It just MIGHT be more effective.

On a more serious note, I heard that troublesome bear encounters rarely involve a group of 4 or more. Seems to be true, though I haven't seen any data.

interesting post. Thanks.

Larry Csonka has been living here for years (part time, lime many) and is a wonderful guy and a great sportsman. He has armed members of his crew. Many folks in groups go unarmed, generall one has a gun.

A backup sidearm is like a life vest in a boat, a seat belt in a car, or most safety equipment. The odds are in your favor that you could get by without wearing them, however, if you are one of the unlucky few, your life may end up depending on if you have and know how to use it or not.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

I agree that a camera crew stomping through the woods is probably all the good bear protection that he needs. Also, you never know what his off camera guys are doing. For all we know they all have semi auto .50's.

As for me I wear a sidearm. In the woods, in town, in the suburbs, etc.

Jeremiah

I figure that 99% of the T.V. hunting shows have a guide as back-up. My handgun also can become my main gun if the right shot is there.

Default Backup indeed

This year all of my hunts have been solo and I always carry a handgun. Five years ago my rifle malfunctioned but I was able to stay in the field because I had the handgun.
    My current sidekick sidearm is a field grade Freedom Arms 454 Casull which I carry crossdraw.

Ed

Generally if I'm carrying a rifle I leave the handgun at home. But that's just me. I don't care for the extra stuff if I don't feel I really need it. I'd rather carry extra water or other "survival gear", but I hunt on foot. If I'm just hiking and not actively hunting then a handgun usually comes along. 4" Smith N frame of some caliber that starts with a "4". Can't remember the last time I carried both a long gun and a handgun.

Thanks, fellas, for all the replies. I guess the nature of my question, is that there must be a reason that no sidearms are shown. Even the fishing guides don't look to be carrying. I'm suspicious that the TV producers (from the lower 48, no doubt) consider it un-PC to show people legally and properly carrying handguns. I just think I smell a rat!

Jeff

Actually there's another reason too. Have one out in plain sight around folks who aren't familiar with guns, and it becomes a center of attention whether the folks are pro or anti. It's just a whole lot easier to keep them out of sight and out of mind, yet handy. As I said before, they're also a lot more convenient in tight country and better protected from the elements when they're out of sight, too. I just don't figure they're part of my display.

If you watch the Alaska hunting show made buy Alaskans you will see pistols. Just this week he had a big handgun hanging from his chest while fishing.

I carry a sidearm when fly fishing and when bunny hunting w/ my kids. Basically if my primary weapon (.22 or fly rod) isn't rated for bear then I carry something with more thump on my hip or chest.

I used to carry a Ruger SBH on it's own belt and carry it crossdraw. Problem was I found myself taking it off and putting it back on or just taking it off and leaving it off. I now carry a 4inch barreled Redhawk 45 Colt with heavy bullets, ruger only loads and carry it strongside in a Simply Rugged pancake holster on my pants belt so I always have it on me. It carries well and I almost forget it's there. Almost... it feels like a part of me.

I generally won't carry a pistol and a rifle.... maybe either or, but very rarely both. Just another thing to keep up with and tote about. If I'm hunting- its a rifle. If I'm hiking its a toss up- sometimes I take a rifle just for kicks then too.

When hunting big game, I just carry the rifle since it's already big enough to take a bear. If I'm packing a smaller caliber or a shotgun for birds, etc. Then I've got a sidearm with more punch.

While I'm deployed, when my wife takes the kids out berrypicking, etc she's got either the 12 gauge with 3" Breneke slugs or my .450 Marlin. She shoots either one quite well.

Never go into the Alaskan wilderness unprotected.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i always take one with me and leave it on my pillow at camp... it is night time secuity...

i meet a lot of guys in the field every year. I would say that 90% of them DO not have a hand gun on their person.. though it will be in the ATV bag or tent.

THE only reason i carry a hand gun hunting has been to finish off a mortally hit animal rather then watch the lights dim..

I have 300 acres of farm land and 160 acres mining claim, i walk them on a regular basis with out any fire arms at all... don't need em; i figure i need my guns in town more....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I usually carry my .44 with me, especially this year since I was mainly bowhunting, and didn't have a rifle most of the time. I carry my .44 if I have my rifle with me or not, never hurts to have a little back up. I use a shoulder holster and dont even feel it on me, I actually conceal it most of the time. My .44 stayed on me from morning until I when to sleep. What I find alot when I am carrying my rifles, is that I tend to set them down a bit, and they wont be too any use if I actually need them. Its nice to have the handgun especially when your field dressing an animal.

I thought about dropping several hundred dollars on a sidearm for bear protection when I got to Kodiak. One of my co-workers is a guide and spends more time in the field than anyone I know, he carries a $3 whistle. I would be curious to know the statistics on how many people avoided a bear attack by carrying a sidearm.

I have for 20 years.Now for the flip side wonder how many carrying a whistle got ate by a bear cause the whistle didn't stop them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast