Thread: Remington double rifles

Default Remington double rifles

Just picked one of these up in 30 06 from my dealer FFL today. Found it on gunbrokers for $700. Looks like a fun winter project to find out how she shoots. Initial impressions are long creepy triggers but fit and finish isnt to bad. All in all, not a bad way to get into another double for some fun shooting.
    Anyone else pick one up? I found out Remington made these in 45-70 and 30 06 but has just discontinued them as well.
    Tennessee

I messed with a buddy's in 45-70. The comb on the stock was way high for the open sights and it cracked me on the cheekbone every single shot. I believe he was sending it off for new wood at some place in TX. Overall not a bad place to start for the cash. I wonder if the maker has gotten another importer- USSG or something like that?

I noticed the high comb as well as soon as it came up to my shoulder. The guys over at the AR forum told me to order this rear sight for it (which I did):
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7820.html

Seems it is a perfect replacement for the rear but not sure about the front. Rifle will also accept 11mm dovetail (european) rings so am thinking about adding one of my Ultradots if everything works out.
    Tennessee

I'll be darned. I didn't know they every got around to importing any of the 45-70s. I had a standing order for one from a local shop since the first day Remington listed the model. So many years now that I can't count, and they never ponied one up. I guess now that they're discontinued, I can cancel the order!

Good luck with it. They looked like they might be fun, but try as I might, I never got to handle one.

We got one in and sent it back to the distributor due to poor fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We got one in and sent it back to the distributor due to poor fit and finish.
    Thats unfortunate. They are certaintly not built as well as a Heym, Searcy or Chapuis but for the selling price they can't be beat. Guys on the AR forum are getting 1.5 inch groups (or better) at 50 yards after some tinkering. If you get any more in drop me a note as I would be very interested in purchasing a couple more before the supply totally dries up.
    Tennessee

Default Double rifle at gun show

One table at the gun show Sat. had a new double SxS .30-06 rifle for $700 or $800. I don't recall the name on it but it was not Remington or someone I recognized. I noted that the breech end of the barrels were very thick certainly large enough for an .45-70 or such. The rear sight was also an odd looking affair but i don't recall any details of it.

Perhaps someone else that saw it can provide some details.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

These are the rifles:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=142641837

From my understanding the 45-70 was designed for lower pressure rounds. I ordered the rear sight and hope to get in some range time with mine in a week or two. Who knows, it might be a bust. But for the money and the fact it is a breakdown rifle it could be a nice backup to take hunting.
    Tennessee