Thread: 16" AR upper

Default 16" AR upper

Well I went by the gun show today and I am thinking about heading back over in the morning and picking up one of the complete uppers that were there. I really want a dtech 25wssm to slap on my stag lower but I thought that I would pick up a 223 first so that I would actually have a rifle to shoot.
    The only one that they have that fits anywhere close to what I want was a stainless bull flat top w/ a 1-9 twist 16" bull barrel. I am curious what you all think about this setup. I just want to use it to plink and pop fox and yotes out to ~ 250-300 yards. I figure the 1-9 should spit up to about 65-70 grain bullets just fine but I will mostly using 55 grainers. Price on the complete upper was $525

I also need to find a 6 pos stock, as well as a buffer tube and spring if anyone has them. I would like to be shooting by next weekend if I choose to pull the trigger on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I went by the gun show today and I am thinking about heading back over in the morning and picking up one of the complete uppers that were there. I really want a dtech 25wssm to slap on my stag lower but I thought that I would pick up a 223 first so that I would actually have a rifle to shoot.
    The only one that they have that fits anywhere close to what I want was a stainless bull flat top w/ a 1-9 twist 16" bull barrel. I am curious what you all think about this setup. I just want to use it to plink and pop fox and yotes out to ~ 250-300 yards. I figure the 1-9 should spit up to about 65-70 grain bullets just fine but I will mostly using 55 grainers. Price on the complete upper was $525

I also need to find a 6 pos stock, as well as a buffer tube and spring if anyone has them. I would like to be shooting by next weekend if I choose to pull the trigger on this one...
    PM sent..........

You MAY be able to do a bit better on price online, but likely not enough to make it worthwhile. Sounds like a viable option for what you might be using it for!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The only one that they have that fits anywhere close to what I want was a stainless bull flat top w/ a 1-9 twist 16" bull barrel. I am curious what you all think about this setup. I just want to use it to plink and pop fox and yotes out to ~ 250-300 yards. I figure the 1-9 should spit up to about 65-70 grain bullets just fine but I will mostly using 55 grainers.
    As a general comment, it sounds like you're making a compromise. If that's the case, it won't take long for you to grow tired of your new purchase. Ask me how I know. Been there!

As far as the upper itself, a heavy-barreled shorty doesn't make much sense to me......all the weight and all the noise. Where's up side?

As far as twist goes, a 1-9" is just fine for what you want to do. I can shoot the Hornady 75gr BTHP's with my 1-9 twist rifle, and the lighter bullets still shoot just fine.

I would suggest not buying a cheap AR upper unless you already have a good quality AR rifle. Lots of people go the cheap route, and then they end up having issues with there rifle. This will discourage you from the platform all together. "Buy once, cry once" is the best way to go on uppers. So I would recommend that you;

Contact 7.62 Precision and purchase one of the LMT uppers that they have listed on Alaskaslist.com.

Go see Ken at Wild West and purchase a Colt LE model.

Or find an upper from Colt, LMT, Noveske, FN (basically impossible since they are only sold to the military), CMMG, etc.

I agree with the poster below that was against the bull barrel. It is just extra weight that will get you no benefit at all. My Colt can shoot 1 MOA groups at the distances you'll be shooting critters at with a 0 magnification Aimpoint Micro T1 sight.

Do some research on how an AR works if you don't already have a good knowledge base. That way you'll be able to inspect the important stuff.

BTW- I have 1300 rounds through my Colt since I cleaned it, and I haven't had a single malfunction. I just pull the BCG out every couple trips to the range and hose it down with CLP while it is still fully assembled. Try and do that with a cheap upper. Buy once, Cry once.

I am a huge proponent of the AR platform. I actually believe that every American citizen should own one. They are a symbol of freedom, and of a God giving right for all men to be free.

This is all of course my opinion, but isn't that what you were looking for?

Jeremiah

Well, I now have a pile of parts that should add up to a complete rifle I just got to spread em all out and follow some "simple" instructions....

Which upper did you end up with? Are you going to post some pictures once you're finished? I think you probably should. If this is your first AR then congratulations on owning a rifle that is uniquely American.

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    Which upper did you end up with? Are you going to post some pictures once you're finished? I think you probably should. If this is your first AR then congratulations on owning a rifle that is uniquely American.

Jeremiah
    I ended up w/ a DPMS 16" upper. I think it will do what I want and it fit my budget so we will see. I planned to slap it together today but have decided that I would rather pour my guts out in the bathroom every 30-45 minutes instead

Odd thing this is the first time in years that I have puked and there wasn' a fifth of whiskey involved

Sorry to hear that you are sick.

If you run into any problems while assembling your rifle you should check out the AR15 building video's on Brownells website. Thats how I built my first one, and it was very helpful.

Looking forward to the range report.

Jeremiah

Feel Better

IF you were wanting to go up to 70-72gr bullets you will probably need to get a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel. My 1:9 can handle up to 69gr just fine, but it is a lil wobbly past 150 yards or so.

Upside to a 1:7 twist is that you can handload some really good bullets for long range shooting. I love the nosler bt competition bullets.

Well I slapped it together today. Gotta love the internet. Had to do a bit of research to ID a couple of the springs but finally got them all in the right spot. Not to bad in the end, I did have to get my wife to hold the pivot pin detent with a set of hemostats while I set the pin in the hole.
    I will try and take some pics of the finished product when I get some time. It doesn't look too bad for a Stag, RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster AR15. I think the 2-7x32 nikon tops it off just just perfect as well. I am hoping that I can get out to do a range report come this weekend as well but there are plenty of other things on the plate getting ready for winter as well!

I took it out and shot it today. Just roughed it in up close, out to about 50 yards (ragged hole groups at that distance). Would have taken some shots out to 100 but we were running out of daylight and still needed to sight in my buddies 375 Ruger not to mention the kids were bugging me to put a couple rounds through it themselves.

The 6 pos stock is perfect for the kids, even my 5 year old was able to find a comfy shooting position. For all the black rifle haters out there they haven't seen the smile on a kids face the first time they squeeze the trigger on one!

Only black rifle haters I ever met were insurgents !!! Glad its all working out for you! Great job!

Will

Well not exactly the intended use but still shockingly effective... Here is the first (only) pic of my new AR.

These things could easily get addictive.... Any recommendations on a cheap extended charging handle latch? I have been looking at the badger ordnance version but I am sure that there are others. The optics make it a bit of a pain to get to the stock setup and I can see how an extended version would be great when wearing gloves!

Not cheap, but buy once, cry once. Bravo Company Model 3 Extended Charging Handle, should be back in stock soon. You can sign up to be emailed when they are in stock (use your cell phone email/message address for the notification).

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-G...%20mod%203.htm