Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hares are turning white!

Talking Hares are turning white!

My nephew and I went out hare hunting today and did fairly well. We saw one fully brown hare and two that were fully white, but everything else was somewhere in between. We saw 20-some hares, missed a few while my nephew was figuring out how to aim our new .410, and ended up with three apiece. Great weather, great hunting, and altogether a great day afield. I also got to meet the forum member who shared this spot with me a year ago. I'll leave the name out so as to save you the PMs asking for the area, but if you read this, thank you again. You've done a lot to help my nephew build some treasured memories.

Great trip Brian and cool you're spending so much time with the neff.

Default Ok ktkn...

You posted Daffy on my thread. How come you didn't post a picture of Bugs Bunny for Brian? Playing favorites? Kissing up?

man them look tastey! did you eat them?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You posted Daffy on my thread. How come you didn't post a picture of Bugs Bunny for Brian? Playing favorites? Kissing up?
    Now Sayak, if you go back you'll see the original post came from Vince, all I did was quote him and the duck came along for the ride. I guess I'll have to start some Walt Disney searches.

Question Folks want hand outs on rabbits?

There are no secret spots around Fairbanks for rabbits. You don't need a 4 wheeler or other off-road vehicle to find them. Find a good place to park, where the walking is good and get out and walk. You will find them. If you don't see rabbits in 20 minutes, I would go somewhere else.

Default May you be attacked...

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Now Sayak, if you go back you'll see the original post came from Vince, all I did was quote him and the duck came along for the ride. I guess I'll have to start some Walt Disney searches.
    ... by the killer rabbit from Monty Python. I hope he chews your tires... or at least pisses on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    There are no secret spots around Fairbanks for rabbits. You don't need a 4 wheeler or other off-road vehicle to find them. Find a good place to park, where the walking is good and get out and walk. You will find them. If you don't see rabbits in 20 minutes, I would go somewhere else.
    I would'nt say this is a goldmine of rabbits but there are a fair amount in the lowland around birch hill. I was wheelin back there last week and had to have seen between 20 and 30 rabbits in a couple mile stretch. Of course when I was going to hunt them I only netted two(hunting with recurve).

BigDaddy - It's not the people need handouts on rabbits, it's just that areas with good populations and low hunting pressure can be harder to find within a couple hour drive of Anchorage. The low pressure is key for me when I'm taking a kid out. I don't mind hunting the Knik flats and other well-known areas when I'm alone, but it's not a very good introduction to hunting for a kid when there are shots being fired in all directions and the hares are so skittish that most shots are on the run. My nephew isn't ready to shoot at hares on the run yet, so finding an area where they're not pressured is key. That's the kind of area that's worth staying quiet about - at least when it was shared with me, thus not my area to publicize.

greythorn3 - We'll be eating them tonight.

Great pictures. Can't wait to take my son next year. :-)

Thanks Brian, I wasn't looking at it from your perspective. There are some good areas around Fairbanks for rabbits, but that is an expensive and time consuming dinner.

Thanks for the heads up Brian, guess I'm grabbin my pop gun and going for a walk. By the way great pics of the young hunter
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yes, they are indeed turning white! It's almost not even sporting. We stopped after taking 4 of them. Those poor hares thought we couldn't see them and let us walk to withing 10 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default white rabbits

Well i did the drive to anchorage this weekend. on the way down i didnt really see much of anything since i had duty from9 am to 9 am and took off with the family at 10am. but came home yesturday and well can i tell you it was ptrobably the most beautiful drive back i have had. well around denali i can tell you there are rabbits everywhere and wow are they WHITE. thekids where dad theres another and another wait theres one more. the hill sides where covered. mind you we where traveling at about 67 mph and they are 4 and and they where pointing them out to me. so get out there guys and nice pice Brian thinking of taking the kids this weekend.

Matt

I have been dragging my 5 and 7 year old out kicking shoulder high grass (for me!) a couple times now with 0 luck. I sure would love to find a spot with terrain like in your pics Brian! Both my kids have been nailing pop cans w/ my 17hmr and it sure would be nice to get at least the oldest lined up on something that will hold long enough for him to make a shot. I don't mind hitting the flats w/ my shotgun after a few years of doing that now I don't have to kick up too many rabbits to limit out, but the kids barely get to see a flash and it's long gone for them.

Willows along the river bottoms hold Lotsa Rabbits.

Weve been cleaning the ones the girls have been bringing home lately, as well as the white Ptarmigan that cant hide if they wanted too~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well we did get out today and ended up smoking 3 ruffies and flushed one bunny in about 20 minutes of hunting. I did the shooting this time around since there wasn't a good setup for the boys to get set up on. They were just excited to finally have some success! We brought the kids back and gave them each a lesson in field dressing birds and splitting breasts.

Default Lotsa bunnies

Took my son out for his 15th birthday and brought his 11 yo cousin. They cleaned up on rabbits. Just finished a bowl of rabbit stew...yum.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

We got a couple today. I almost had to feel bad for the one I shot, he was sitting so still sure that his camo was foolproof.... He was the only white thing in the alder patch, almost too easy I actually spotted him in the bushes while driving up the trail to the area where we were planning on hunting.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Hairs turning white....

got a few more this week... soon i will look like the bunny
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast