Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What snow blade?

Default What snow blade?

Its Oct 10th in Iowa. I woke up this morning at 5 A.M. thinking it was time to get up because it was getting light out. I looked out the window and to my surprise the ground was covered with snow and it was still snowing and that is why it appeared to be getting light out.

I have a new Grizzly 550 sitting in the garage. Next to it is a new Warn winch and mounting hardware. I'm perplexed as to what snow blade to put on it.

A few years ago I had pretty much the same set up with a Moose plow but that set up didn't pan out so good. I kept breaking the winch cable. I don't know if it was the angle of the cable pay out required to opperate that blade or what but I don't want to repeat that experience!

I figure with the amount of snow that you folk get to deal with up there that someone has already dealt with this issue.

Any advice?

What I do wiith my wheelers when using the winch to operate the snow blade is to remove the winch cable and go get about a 20' piece and install that on the winch. Every wheeler winch I have ever seen that runs the blades end up eat the cables. Comes from the fact that you end up with loose cable laying on the drum and it just eats into itself. Keep you good cable for when it is summer time and you will need it, tear up the short piece! Only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

You might check out some winch rope instead of cable. Its a synthetic rope that is nearly as tough as cable but flexible and won't get any kinks. I think all you need to do is put the rope on and replace the roller fairlead with just a plate with no rollers.

I installed a Warn 54" straight plow blade on my 350 Rancher. I raise and lower it with my #2500 Warn winch. I'm very happy with it. I think it's "beefier" than some other plow setups I have seen.

http://www.warn.com/atv/plows/provan...to_order.shtml

It looks like they have a new option - front mount with a "power pivot". Mine is the center mount. My plow stays on all winter so it's not to big of a deal to attach it under the atv.

Our snow is very light and dry here in Fairbanks. I went with the 54" blade to be on the conservative side (didn't want to run out of power with a 60"). You could probably use the 60" blade with your 550 with no problem.

Happy plowing.

Lightbulb get a cycle country "state plow".

And rig your winch cable up the RIGHT way!!! the 1st time. Out of the winch to a pulley on the plow mount... up to a pipe/sq tube that u place,afix on your rack ...extend it about a foot out..... hook a HD....spring near the end and atach your winch hook. in goes the cable-up comes the plow-spring starts to strech ..presto NO more messed up cable/frays and the rest of that bs.....now get to work on the snow we sent u !!!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    And rig your winch cable up the RIGHT way!!! the 1st time. Out of the winch to a pulley on the plow mount... up to a pipe/sq tube that u place,afix on your rack ...extend it about a foot out..... hook a HD....spring near the end and atach your winch hook. in goes the cable-up comes the plow-spring starts to strech ..presto NO more messed up cable/frays and the rest of that bs.....now get to work on the snow we sent u !!!!
    Could you please post a picture of this set-up. Sounds like a great way to save my cable. I had a Warn plow actuator on my old 400 Kodiak...weak but worked. I plan on using the winch on my new 550 Grizzly and would like to "do it right the first time".

Yes please do post a picture. Maybe you should patten it first cuz it sounds like a winner. The pulley mounted high like that with the cable fastened further out on the plow would have to increase the leverage comciderably.

Default I know I'm off message but !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Its Oct 10th in Iowa. I woke up this morning at 5 A.M. thinking it was time to get up because it was getting light out. I looked out the window and to my surprise the ground was covered with snow and it was still snowing and that is why it appeared to be getting light out.

I have a new Grizzly 550 sitting in the garage. Next to it is a new Warn winch and mounting hardware. I'm perplexed as to what snow blade to put on it.

A few years ago I had pretty much the same set up with a Moose plow but that set up didn't pan out so good. I kept breaking the winch cable. I don't know if it was the angle of the cable pay out required to opperate that blade or what but I don't want to repeat that experience!

I figure with the amount of snow that you folk get to deal with up there that someone has already dealt with this issue.

Any advice?
    Move to Alaska, it was 57 degrees in interior Alaska today,oct 11th I think were setting records every day.

Default i will try

pic are hard to due to my internet 26.5 max dail up....if i can t do i will call u to save .......

Default Got the materials to save my winch cable

I went parts shopping today. I had a left over pulley from a manual plow lift that will connect to the plow mount, 3/4"x3' square stock ($9.00 Lowes), u-bolts to mount the stock to the rack ($1.20ea AIH), and a spring ($2.25 AIH). The spring should attach to the square stock with a HD eye bolt. I'll post pics tomorrow after the install...need to let the black hammertone paint dry overnight on the square stock.

This should increase the pull power, reduce sharp angles, and keep tension on the cable reducing the sloppy slack that destroys the cable. Great Idea atvalaska

Here's a picture of the completed installation. My only concern is the spring I used (3/4"x2-1/4"x.105"), I am going to look for a heavier duty spring. When I lift the plow all the way up, it would be easy to over-stretch the spring making it unusable. If anyone has any idea where I can get a stronger spring, please let me know.

I also thought about reversing the spring and pulley locations to reduce the cable angle at the fairlead, but then you loose sight of the spring and could over-extend it or let out to much winch cable and get a loose spool of cable defeating the purpose.

Exclamation u got it !!! 911!!!

NOW,911!! get a differnt spring!!! the spring i use is so hard/frim i can harly bend it 6to 8" long thick coils (like the 2 springs on your plow ) or better yet buy two and put one inside the other!!!..!! and your sq stock mite need to be bigger......but then again my plow is thick and big "state plow"

I found new springs at Fastener and Fire. I bought 2 heavy springs (9") and 2 delta shape quick links to tie them together. Works WAY better, they barely stretch/move lifting the plow and stay nice and tight when I step on the plow while in the air. They keep the winch cable good and tight. As a last resort, I do have another set of the large Warn plow springs but I think they are to long and the cable won't be long enough to lift the blade.

Question hows the spring set up....

working out for you,

[QUOTE=jpost;592458]I installed a Warn 54" straight plow blade on my 350 Rancher. I raise and lower it with my #2500 Warn winch. I'm very happy with it. I think it's "beefier" than some other plow setups I have seen.

http://www.warn.com/atv/plows/provan...to_order.shtml

It looks like they have a new option - front mount with a "power pivot". Mine is the center mount. My plow stays on all winter so it's not to big of a deal to attach it under the atv.

Our snow is very light and dry here in Fairbanks. I went with the 54" blade to be on the conservative side (didn't want to run out of power with a 60"). You could probably use the 60" blade with your 550 with no problem.

Jpost

Do you know anyone who is using the power pivit and the proVantage Plow lift? My wife wants this entire system on her Ranger XP. Got a price quote from Fishcreek Sales in wasilla yesterday of a smidg over 1800 bucks with free shipping, but they have never sold one and can't give me any reports. We have a winch on it already but its detachable on a mount with a 2" receiver on the front and back and it sticks out way too far when installed. Besides wife wants one that pivots. She's a little spoiled

I can't speak to Warn's motorized pivot, but I use their lift- and though I like it better than my winch, it *is* a tad slow/weak. I have one of those Eagle elec/hydraulic pivots which is nice, but faster operation would be a plus for this too. I don't think Eagle is even making/selling these any more.
    I would advise getting the longest plow your machine can handle with moderately wet/heavy snow. I have a 60" for my 500Rubicon and its much faster than when I used to have a 54". I may even weld some wing on- or buy the bolt on variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Porterwagner View Post
    I can't speak to Warn's motorized pivot, but I use their lift- and though I like it better than my winch, it *is* a tad slow/weak. I have one of those Eagle elec/hydraulic pivots which is nice, but faster operation would be a plus for this too. I don't think Eagle is even making/selling these any more.
    I would advise getting the longest plow your machine can handle with moderately wet/heavy snow. I have a 60" for my 500Rubicon and its much faster than when I used to have a 54". I may even weld some wing on- or buy the bolt on variety.
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like a decent system. Will do a little more checking before I shell out 1800 bucks, but much cheaper than the Boss Plow at twice the price.

I ended up getting a Moose winch rope and a fairlead with a large roller. I plowed 4 drives today and got along great.

We got 10 inches of powdery snow today and are suppose to get another 5-7' overnight followed by 50 mph winds. It will get a real test tomorrow. Thats probably nothing extra ordinary in Alaska but it is in Iowa.

working out for you,
    It has worked out great. I still need to keep an eye on the spring when lowering the blade to ensure the cable stays taunt...preventing cable miswrap and damage. Having the spring out front makes it easy to see when the blade is down.

For those who installed the larger 54" and 60" blades keep us informed who they are working out throughout the season. Those larger blades sure would speed up my plowing!!!

MORSNO,

Before we got our tractor w/ the 42" blower attachment, I was runnin' the 4' blade on my A/C 500. I had polarisblake weld some wings on the side of the plow and it easily doubled my speed in plowing.

Easy fix and worked great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast