Thread: Motor Winterization Questions

Default Motor Winterization Questions

I have a new this year 50 hp Merc 4 stroke outboard. I have placed stabil in the tank and run that through on the last outing. I am debating changing the oil, filter, and lower unit fluid now or waiting until spring. Any thoughts on this or what else I should be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    I have a new this year 50 hp Merc 4 stroke outboard. I have placed stabil in the tank and run that through on the last outing. I am debating changing the oil, filter, and lower unit fluid now or waiting until spring. Any thoughts on this or what else I should be doing?
    Change it. Run it to warm everything before draining and then run it on the the flusher for a couple of minutes after refill. This will help remove any contaminates leftover in the upper engine areas and put them in the pan.

Lower unit is also a drain and refill. Just incase you have any moisture in the lower unit.

Most good oils have a hours/mileage limit or 1 year expiration time limit. So doing now keeps you inside those recommendations.

I agree (as usual) with Dupont Spinner. Change everything, it doesn't cost much and it's just one more thing that can prolong the life/reliability of your engine.

If you figure every little thing that affects your boat/systems adds up to a failure, then removing even a few of those things can save you from one.