Thread: engine miss honda fourtrax

Default engine miss honda fourtrax

I have a 1993 honda fourtrax 300. It idles great but dies under a load, it acts like it is starving for fuel. I cleaned the carb and started it with the air cleaner off so I could see if the piston in the carb flutters up and done or stays steady at a higher rpm. It stayed steady which indicates the diaphram is ok, but I noticed an occasional misfire in the carb. Any suggestions as to what the problem is. THis has been driving my buddy and I up a wall.
    Thanks

Wink

Did you check the little tiny fuel strainer/filter/sediment bowl on the fuel selector switch? It unscrews and has an o-ring seal. It should be cleaned a couple times a year. Next, put a new spark plug in it, even if you can't see a problem. Those plugs break down. If you want the best plug, Go with the Denso-Irridium Spark Plug.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

choke on them stick...there a plunger type... if it sat for a while it will cruste up clean it....boots on carb cracked/hole in 1/2 off? set the valves .006 ...thats a bigge...i just sold one of these this past spring and know them well...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I sprayed the carb with starting fluid while it was running and the rpms did not change so I think fuel lines and carb. are not cracked. I also used a gas tank off of a lawn mower and it acted the same. Valves are set at .oo6.

Wink

Try taking the plug out of the exhaust pipe, last four inches and it is on the bottom of the pipe. Sometimes they fill with water and form a restriction.

Also, put a new spark plug in it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Could simply be a weak spark... Make sure your coil is putting out enough juice. I'm not sure how to actually "check" the output, but maybe try swapping it with a known good one.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

what is the proper way to set the valves? when the mark shows it is on tdc do I set both valves or just 1 then rotate 180 and set the other one?