Thread: Leupold Vari X vs. VX

Default Leupold Vari X vs. VX

It seems to me that the newer versions of Leupold aren't as "up to standard" as the older Vari x scopes. This could be me, but anyone else have the same thoughts? This is only based on looking through and holding the new VX as compared to the Vari X scopes I have on a number of rifles. I am looking for a new Leupold for a new Ruger in .35 Whelen. Which way to go?

I agree that the new vx line isn't "up to standard". I have been buying nikon monarch scopes, and have been very happy with them. I have been a leupold homer for years(still am), but check out the nikons. They are great glass for less money.

Jtm9: I remember reading something a while back that they are a separate line of scopes and the numbers are not exactly compatible. I am attaching a link to another forum with a good discussion of the two lines. I can not vouch for the info, but one of the posters seems to know what he is talking about. All of my scopes are vari-x so other than this I can’t help.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-11460.html

Default thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I do have a tough time going away from Leupold, and I have a tough time spending $1000 or so for a scope. I know it will be hard, but I'll spend the late fall looking for a Vari X.

Jtm9: I know mean about Leupold. A few years ago, while climbing down from one of these Texas tower things, I dropped a rifle wearing a Leupold. The rear of the scope banged on the steel leg and bent the tube at the rear joint (could barely open the bolt). The zoom was frozen and the recital detached at two points. I boxed up the scope with a letter explaining what had happened, and asked Leupold if they thought it could be fixed at a reasonable price or should I just junk it. Ten days later, I received the scope back with a detailed list of all they had done and the test parameters on the repaired scope (no bill). When I called Leupold to find out what the bill was and make arrangements to pay, they would not except payment as “it was covered under the lifetime warranty“. If a warranty will cover that kind of dumb stunt, it goes much further than anything I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
    Jtm9: I know mean about Leupold. A few years ago, while climbing down from one of these Texas tower things, I dropped a rifle wearing a Leupold. ...
    This kind?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Bu...exas_at_Austin)

Not that one MH.