Thread: Newbie question on case trimming/cutting

Default Newbie question on case trimming/cutting

With out going into the why's, and what for's. I need to cut 1/3 of the case off of remington 6mm cases. Now I have never reloaded anything and I don't really want to spend to much money to get these cases cut. I am thinking a common tubing cutter and then square it up with a case trimmer and maybe even some wet/dry sandpaper in about 400 grit to finish it up. What would your recommendations be to accomplish this? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated
    Alaskan100

Since brass is a bit harder then copper I would make sure the tubing cutter had a wheel designed to cut brass or even better stainless.

Not knowing your needs I would be careful if using a tubing cutter because it really doesnt "cut". It just forces the material to both sides which could effect the neck thickness of your finished case. All well and good if you realize what is happening and are prepared to ream the inside of the neck to bring it into correct specs.
    Tennessee

Drill a chunk of wood with a hole the size of the case where you would like to hold it. Cut a slot through the hole and past is several inches. Then put the case in the hole and clamp the hole works in a vise such that the cut squishes together and the hole holds the case then use a hacksaw with fine teeth. Finish off with a case trimmer.

A tubing cutter will not work as the side of the case is tapered and the tubing cutter will walk up the side of the case like a screw.

If you plan to reload these you need to look into annealing the new necks.

Default Update

Ok, I can see there are a few questions I need to answer. The finished case will be nothing more than a primer holder. No projectile will be put into the caseing so I don't think annealing will be necessary. The case will literaly just be holding a large rifle primer. The edge of the case will need to be square. That is why I was thinking tubing cutter to remove most of the case. Then remove the last bit to remove the taper caused by the tubbing cutter and to make sure the case is square I may need to ream the case a little. I am just looking for a way to remove about half of the case without using a case trimmer for most of the removal. That would surely wear out a cuting blade on a case trimmer.
    Thanks
    Tracy