Thread: Moose Liver, Bad Taste

Smile Moose Liver, Bad Taste

I just got a cow moose in the Fairbanks Management Area Wednesday afternoon. It was getting dark and I was able to get 4 quarters out, as well as the guts out of the body. I left the liver on top of the gut pile, but I knew better.

I fried up a couple of pieces, and it is the worst liver I have ever had because of the extreme strong game taste. My normal operation is to cook the liver up, the first night of the kill. I cook liver in the frying pan by putting a layer of bacon, sliced potates, and liver. Repeat the layers until the pan is full, then cover and cook for 30 minutes of so. It comes out good and never fails, even with moose in rut liver.

Question for the forum, I am interested in your experiences of taking care of the liver and cooking it.

Default some of the taste could be adreain..i can't spell it

but mine over the years have been about the same as yours, varys from moose to moose ...to much...even intier fish (v.i) don't make it as its a crap shot....my best tasting one came from a sleeping moose.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

As always, it seems to have more to do in how you care for the meat in the field rather than the phase of rut as far as tastes goes (at least for moose, caribou is another story). If you leave anything you are planning to eat on or near the gut pile (even for a short time), then it is gonna taste gutty. I always try to rinse the organ meat as quickly as possible to clean it and try to get it cooling.

I cook liver and other organ meat about the same as you. Often with onions and bacon grease (if I have any) either by frying or steaming. Dip the cooked pieces in homemade highbush cranberry ketchup and it is very, very good.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I put the liver and heart in a small bucket and run water over it with a steady stream dumping it occasionaly until I get clear water coming out.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

soak it in MILK to pull the acids out,

or send it to Ak susage and sea food in ANch and have liverworst made out of it... you cnaot go wrong there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default good replies

Thank you all for the advice.