Thread: Garmin or Raymarine

Default Garmin or Raymarine

My GPS Sonar experience is limited to Eagle, Lowrance, and Humminbird.
    I'm comparing Garmin 4208 and Raymarine E80. They fit nicely in the space alloted
    A few things I want with the upgrade are
    1) Second monitor to be a repeater of the first monitor with GPS and Sonar, no more 2 transducers or 2 GPS antennas.
    2) Excellent Sonar, been reading about the airmar 1kw thru hull
    3) Ability to network add ons in the future like Radar, XM Weather, Autopilot, DSC
    Question is, what am I not seeing in the brochures or thinking about?

I've been using Raymarine e-120 and e-80 for 3 years and have been satisfied. All of the features you mention is what I got going on. I Use a b260 transducer the Vhf dsc to link with other boats in our fleet and have nmea 2000 interfaces with the Volvo d-6.. I would rely on the Raymarine unit . A single screen Raymarine will do everything you want. also Raymarine has up to date software and is keeping up with charts and new technoligies which have been intergrated with the e series units. I'd recomend sticking with Raymarine.

I have been running a new 4208 Garmin this summer & my only complaint is that the screen is too small. I wasn't sure if the 4210 would fit in my SeaRunner so I went with the 4208 The 4208 is networkable in all of the ways that you want, but the dsc does not require anything other than connecting 4 wires from the gps harness to your vhf so that they can communicate with each other. Garmin has a recall out on the G2 vision card that goes with the 4208 & they say that they are supposed to have new ones available soon...... just don't try to navigate with the sonar is their official warning The install will take you the better part of a lazy Saturday for the 4208, gps antenna, sounder module & transom mtd. transducer. If you keep your old units you may be able to wire them up to the new network for backup.

I have the 3210 with the works(sonar, radar & XM) since it was produced. Absolutely flawless. Looking at upgrading the screen to a 5212 or 5215.

If you can swing it go with the 4012 you will love the bigger screen.

Here is a link to a place that sells factory refurbs

www.getfeetwet.com/products/SKU-010-N0592-02-Garmin-GPSMAP-4212-Chartplotter--Monitor-(with-GDL30A-and-GSD-22)-(Factory-Refurb)__010-N0592-02.aspx

New units I like dealing with these guys

www.starmarinedepot.com

That sight has a fantastic price on a 4212 but there just isn't room to install it neatly.
    I only have 12.5in. and the sides will be rubbing. Hewescraft dosen't seem to think room for electronics is important. That limits me to the size of the Garmin 4208 or the Raymarine E80.
    Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I have the 3210 with the works(sonar, radar & XM) since it was produced. Absolutely flawless. Looking at upgrading the screen to a 5212 or 5215.

If you can swing it go with the 4012 you will love the bigger screen.

Here is a link to a place that sells factory refurbs

www.getfeetwet.com/products/SKU-010-N0592-02-Garmin-GPSMAP-4212-Chartplotter--Monitor-(with-GDL30A-and-GSD-22)-(Factory-Refurb)__010-N0592-02.aspx

New units I like dealing with these guys

www.starmarinedepot.com

I have a Raymarine C120 (bought it the year before the E series came out, darn it! ) with the works attached to it. I love it, so easy to use and works great. Even with a transom mounted transducer I can hit the bottom up to about 450 feet at up to 24 knots. Stationary/drifting I have hit the bottom in the sound at over 2000 feet no problem. I really like raymarine and it was really easy to install.

My brother is a commercial fisherman in the sound and he prefers Garmin. We have had many discussions over beer about it, and in our humble opinions it boils down to preference. He is used to the garmin controls, I'm used to the raymarine. If I ever upgrade boats I'll go with raymarine again.

My 2 worth is go to westmarine and play with the displays, see what you like the best, then order online. Sometimes Westmarine will match online prices, but not always. I like to buy there if the price match because it is so easy to do a return if there is a problem, but with these two brands you likely won't have one.

How long has the Garmin recall been in place without a solution?

Thanks to everyone for the response, good information.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    I have been running a new 4208 Garmin this summer & my only complaint is that the screen is too small. I wasn't sure if the 4210 would fit in my SeaRunner so I went with the 4208 The 4208 is networkable in all of the ways that you want, but the dsc does not require anything other than connecting 4 wires from the gps harness to your vhf so that they can communicate with each other. Garmin has a recall out on the G2 vision card that goes with the 4208 & they say that they are supposed to have new ones available soon...... just don't try to navigate with the sonar is their official warning The install will take you the better part of a lazy Saturday for the 4208, gps antenna, sounder module & transom mtd. transducer. If you keep your old units you may be able to wire them up to the new network for backup.

Default recall

Sometime last summer I found out about the recall from Garmin in the mail and was sent the G2 08 as a temp replacement. I was told when updates were complete, they would send me the new revised version. The original 09 showed depths shallower on the charts than what they actually were. I found several spots with the replacement G2 08 that also showed depths shallower on the charts than reality. Anyhow, the navigation is like a cool video game and is a lot of fun. Using some common sense, I am not too concerned with slight differences and have been impressed with the Garmin products and service.

the recall was due to a boat running aground somewhere in Europe. The g2 vision card was the problem, not the charts preloaded into the unit. There was no problem found in the Alaska or US charts, as far as they know. They have been sending people last years version of charts, and once they fix the 2009 charts, they will send those out too. I had a meeting with the garmin rep. for the entire west coast a few months ago, and that is what he told me.

I have the 4210 and absolutely love it. Easy to use, amazing detail, and the sonar works good. Above about 20mph it cuts out, but thats because I have a poor mounting location for the transducer.

Default garmin

I installed the garmin 4208 w/ 18" radar and transom mounted transducer for the sonar this spring. I have been very happy with it. It is easy enough for me to figure out and use, and was able to do the install myself with the instructions provided. I have never had any issue with the depth readings, but only went out of Homer, and don't see the depth's like in PWS.
    I was told when I bought it the xm weather did not work up here? I'll have to look into that again.

[QUOTE=Jonsboat;592341]How long has the Garmin recall been in place without a solution?

Garmin said today that they anticipate shipping the corrected G2 cards in January of 2010.