Thread: Boat transportation from lower 48

Default Boat transportation from lower 48

Do people pay to have their boats transported from the lower 48? Maybe someone could share any ideas about this.
    I have a 25 foot inboard jet boat (460) with a 10 foot beam. Hauling from Coos Bay, Oregon may take some permits since it is so wide. Has anyone used barge for their boat transportation before, or any other services?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Boat shipping

Not from the lower 48 but last year I had my boat (29' ACB,8.5 foot beam,39' with the trailer)shipped on the Alaska ferry from Juneau to Whittier,got here on Thanksgiving day(I don't think this ferry runs year round).The price was $1500.00 and I had to be there to pull the boat off or it would of gone back to Juneau at my expense,good luck.

Wink Boat shipping

I had my 19' Arima shipped up from Tacoma to Dutch Harbor via a barge. It was about five years ago and the cost at that time was about $1,800. I used Sampson but there are a couple of barge companies that operate out of Tacoma. Much will depend on where you want it shipped from and to. Note that some will allow you to load the boat with goodies and some will charge for extras by weight. If I remember correctly they also want less than a third of a tank of gas. Good luck

Default shipping costs

Transportation costs have risen drastically over the last couple of years. I bought a 23ft 9ft beam boat in Washington last year. I made the decision to go down after it and bring it back with my truck from Homer after the cheapest quote to barge it was $4700 .I went down and back for under $3000, also the drive is absolutely beautiful and was well worth the trip. I went down at the end of March and came back up the 1st week or April, great trip and I know exactly how my boat was handled during transportation.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

I bought my Northriver from your neck of the woods and shipped it to Anchorage with Tope. Like the last poster mentioned shipping prices have gone up, but mine was delivered for about 2000.00 in 2002. They charged by the foot it was like 24' with the tounge.

One thing to consider is the alcan can be very hard on a nice boat.

There was a guy who bought one the same time as I did and he opted to shrink wrap the boat and pull it up. Trust me my boat still looked new when it arrived and his did not. the shrink wrap had worn off some paint from flapping in the wind and there were a lot of rock chips and tarnished aluminum.

Depending on how nice your boat is it might be worth the extra $$$ to ship plus your time is worth somthing.

I drove down to Wash state in my truck and hauled back my SeaSport. They wanted 6K to ship it up here. I think I spent about $800 or less in fuel for my diesel truck. Picked up a Yamaha kicker motor while I was there and saved a couple of hundred off Deweys price. Made the round trip in 8 days including a days R&R to pick up the boat at the factory. The boat didnt pick up any scratches or dings at all during the journey back
    Tennessee

Default skipjack

Skipjack Logistics hauled my boat (21' RHIB, 8'4" beam) from Boston, Mass to Frb for $5K last May. The boat was on its trailer. Arrived fine; had shrinkwrap around it. Make sure your shipper secures the motor properly; mine was left in the "up" position on its own braces (that was how it was given to Skipjack; not their fault, but a crappy way to ship a motor 5K miles, IMO.) Good luck. j

Several years ago I shipped a boat similar to yours with Pacific Alaska Forwarders. They stacked it on top of a load of flat steel that was very heavy but didn't take much space. My boat topped the load quite nicely and the rate was very favorable.

About a month ago I shipped a 27' enclosed snowmachine trailer. It's height disqualified it from doing a similar top load. I shipped it via Lynden, who strapped it on a flatbed trailer, the trailer to a rail car, and brought it up on their own barge. The rate was way less than those you're being told here. But it wasn't 10' wide. That may hurt you.

Good luck

Default Another option

Good morning. You might consider uship.com to transport your boat. More than likely you will get multiple bids from tranporters.

Regards,

yhc

Default Try Northland services

They have space on the bi weekly barge Seattle to Anchorage. 1-800-426-3113. There is only one barge and all the shipping companies that ship by barge use it. Northland has been the most reasonable for us. Totem Ocean express runs thier own ships but they are much more expensive.

I had my 27' SeaSport barged from Seattle to Haines two years ago, and then I towed it from Haines to its winter home in Fairbanks. The cost to from Seattle to Haines was about $2K. The cost to barge it from Seattle to Whittier/Anchorage is more than $4K.

Alaska Marine Lines, and others, run at least one barge per week through the inside passage, terminating in Skagway (Haines is the second-to-last stop).

Craig

Default Daveintheburbs you-da-man!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    They have space on the bi weekly barge Seattle to Anchorage. 1-800-426-3113. There is only one barge and all the shipping companies that ship by barge use it. Northland has been the most reasonable for us. Totem Ocean express runs thier own ships but they are much more expensive.
    I called them just now, 1800 to Haines. I'm doing it, I'll have my jet boat in the spring. You just saved me a bunch of bucks and time. THANKS!!!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Suggestion;

I had my boat placed on the Bellingham / Haines ferry in 2005 and wished that someone had warned me about the number of times the road goes from asphalt to gravel. I counted over 150 times on the return trip; from 50' to 5 miles. I would suggest a set of mudflaps that attach to your trailer hitch. They are an added defense against potential rock chips and dust. Have a safe drive!