Thread: New rifle in the collection!!!

Talking New rifle in the collection!!!

Just got my new weatherby vanguard 338 win. mag. yesterday!!! Now to start adding the goodies! I need some opinions on scope bases, rings, scope!?!? I need to also find a good gunsmith so i can get this rifle in a new stock! Also, any one have any good handloads they might be willin to share, i have ken waters pet loads book, its massive, a little dated though! Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks,
    The King!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

When looking for scope bases remember that the Vanguard has the Remington 700 mount hole spacing.

Now that's a useful little tidbit!! How do the bases match up to the chamber opening edges and is the base bottom curveature compatable to the action top curveture?

Default vanguard

They take Rem 700 bases. The curvature is the same as the 700. As for the question about the bases overhanging the action, you have a couple options. A standard front Leupold base with a reverse rear base eliminates overhang. Whether or not your scope will fit that particular option is another story. One of the strongest, highest quality bases/rings you can buy are the Warne variety. They're much stronger than the standard Leupold setup, they don't have any overhang, and they are priced very reasonably too (about $45 for the set)!
    You might want to see about getting some trigger work done on your new firearm. I've noticed some of the triggers are decent, but most of them are very creepy. I don't know about you, but I don't like 3-stage triggers! Your rifle is guaranteed 1.5" groups at 100yds so you'll want to make sure it lives up to that claim. In reality, most of them come capable of MOA accuracy out of the box.

I like Burris Signature rings. Scopes I'd recommend would be Burris Fullfield 2 or Sightron S2, or if you want to spend a bit more, Leupold (VX2 or 3) or Kahles AH, Zeiss Conquest, etc.