Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Browning X Bolt

  1. #1
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default Browning X Bolt

    Anyone shoot the new browning? I love my A-bolt in .300 win mag (with a boss).

    Am looking hard at the xbolt in .338 - it sure is light in the synthetic stock and SS. The recoil pad sure feels mushy though. Browning doesn't put the boss on the xbolts yet, which is probably okay as the boss is really loud.

    Any one shoot one?

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm interested to hear opinions on Browning X-bolt as well. Anybody shot one yet? How long have they been around?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Barrow
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I had an A-bolt 30-06 that I sold about 10 years ago, that gun was a real shooter, I never should have sold it. We were at Cabela's this summer and I saw the X-bolt, it looked pretty nice so I ended up getting one in the 30-06.

    I'm pretty much a one rifle guy so this is gonna be my all around gun (my other rifle is a 6mm which I love for caribou but its too small for most game).

    I've only shot this gun 3 or 4 times, probably about 80 rounds total. At 100 yards I could cover 3 shots with a silver dollar. When I really settled in and took my time I got groups that could be covered with a quarter which is about as good as I can shoot.
    I'd say its just as accurate as my A-bolt was and shoots just as nice. I do need to get the trigger adjusted down a little though, I like them at about 2 pounds. Speaking of triggers, this trigger is a little better than the A-bolt I had, this one is very well done. The fit and finish on this gun is what you'd expect from Browning, very very good.

    These X-bolts have the same type removable mag the A-bolts have but its designed better, no sharp edges and much smoother going in and out. Its also plastic so it'll be easier to handle in the extreme cold.

    The gun I got has a wood stock. The checkering is better than Winchester but thats not saying much. I don't like any of the checkering I'm seeing on guns these days, it all looks very low dollar, this gun included. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about current checkering on rifles.

    All around I'd give the gun very high marks on everything except the checkering; very nice gun. Kudo's to Browning for staying with the 22 inch barrel, thats another huge plus on this gun.

  4. #4
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default search

    There is another big post on the xbolt on here - and lots of reviews on the www. Most of which I have found are good.

    I am just going to bite the bullet and get the stainless synthetic stocker in .338......and dies, and brass, and boolitz, and sling, and scope....that sure adds up quick.

  5. #5

    Default Bit the bullet

    That's exactly what I did today after a week of researching and reading reviews on www and talking to people. Ended up buying Browning x-bolt stainless stocker in .308 with Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 scope. Lots of dough, but should be a nice setup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    There is another big post on the xbolt on here - and lots of reviews on the www. Most of which I have found are good.

    I am just going to bite the bullet and get the stainless synthetic stocker in .338......and dies, and brass, and boolitz, and sling, and scope....that sure adds up quick.

  6. #6

    Default

    hi im 17 years old and last week i got a 338 win mag in a browning x bolt the recoil was not too bad i culd shoot 10 rounds no problem but after 10 the barrel was to hot.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    I had an A-bolt 30-06 that I sold about 10 years ago, that gun was a real shooter, I never should have sold it. We were at Cabela's this summer and I saw the X-bolt, it looked pretty nice so I ended up getting one in the 30-06.

    I'm pretty much a one rifle guy so this is gonna be my all around gun (my other rifle is a 6mm which I love for caribou but its too small for most game).

    I've only shot this gun 3 or 4 times, probably about 80 rounds total. At 100 yards I could cover 3 shots with a silver dollar. When I really settled in and took my time I got groups that could be covered with a quarter which is about as good as I can shoot.
    I'd say its just as accurate as my A-bolt was and shoots just as nice. I do need to get the trigger adjusted down a little though, I like them at about 2 pounds. Speaking of triggers, this trigger is a little better than the A-bolt I had, this one is very well done. The fit and finish on this gun is what you'd expect from Browning, very very good.

    These X-bolts have the same type removable mag the A-bolts have but its designed better, no sharp edges and much smoother going in and out. Its also plastic so it'll be easier to handle in the extreme cold.

    The gun I got has a wood stock. The checkering is better than Winchester but thats not saying much. I don't like any of the checkering I'm seeing on guns these days, it all looks very low dollar, this gun included. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about current checkering on rifles.

    All around I'd give the gun very high marks on everything except the checkering; very nice gun. Kudo's to Browning for staying with the 22 inch barrel, thats another huge plus on this gun.
    You like to hunt with a 2lb. trigger pull?
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN

  8. #8
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    hi im 17 years old and last week i got a 338 win mag in a browning x bolt the recoil was not too bad i culd shoot 10 rounds no problem but after 10 the barrel was to hot.
    Hi luiss, glad you are comfortable with your new 338! Yes, 10 rounds in a row is plenty to heat the barrel. I typically shoot 3 - 5 rounds about 1 minute apart - then find something to do ( like walk to the target and mark holes ), give the gun a break to cool down - maybe 10 - 15 minutes then shoot another string....
    I played with my A Bolt 300WM w/Boss today - shot some Nosler 200gn Partitions thru it - 1" groups ( 3 shots ) at 100 all day long.
    About 2 - 2 1/2 at 200 - I too, would like to have an XBolt to play with !
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  9. #9
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    hi im 17 years old and last week i got a 338 win mag in a browning x bolt the recoil was not too bad i culd shoot 10 rounds no problem but after 10 the barrel was to hot.
    That's where the .22 comes in... shoot a group of three and go shoot the .22 for a while and come back to the big gun when its cooled down.

    The .22 keeps you from getting bored, developing a flinch and is excellent practice in itself.

    Glad you like your .338! Good shooting.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •