Thread: ? for river moose hunters

Default ? for river moose hunters

Wondering how many river hunter bring a small boat or atv with them
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Thumbs up

We always towed a canoe along. It came in handy when you shot a bull in a riverside pond area. Also, we'd take turns breaking camp and send 2 guys down river in the canoe while the other 2 broke camp. The canoe was quicker and quieter than the motor boat.

All depends on where you hunt. In some areas a skinny water fjording canoe or zodiac is magical. There are a few sloughs on the Yukon/Koyukuk it would come in handy.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Buy a cheap raft, they are small and dont wiegh nothing. ( make sure that you take a pump with you, or you will be dizzy by the time you get it aired up.)

Really tho 20-40 pounds in the boat can make a differance if you need to use it.

If you just take a few hundred feet of small rope you can build your own raft out of logs.

The guys that take canoe's probably have more room than most of us have. Although I did like the pictures of the canoe sleding the moose out.

My 2 cents.

Grumman Sport boat comes with us everytime. Sometimes a Coleman plastic canoe that can be drug through the trees to the nearest lake or slough.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah me too , i drag that dang ATV with me every where i go...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Most of the time I use my 25 and 27 year old sons.

Thumbs up

Raft and ATV, sometimes a trailer for the ATV as well, all go in on one of the trips by boat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

For me it is a weight issue. I carried a canoe this year and it is a great tool but it takes up space and adds weight. It can help a lot it certain areas for hunting and packing. Once I get a little more horse power in the old tub I won't go without it.

A buddy used to carry a little blow up job and when the water was low it came in handy as well.

We always bring a smaller boat. The big river sleds use to much gas to putter around back and forth to the tree stands.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author