Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ? for river moose hunters

  1. #1
    Member akhilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    91

    Default ? for river moose hunters

    Wondering how many river hunter bring a small boat or atv with them
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    We always towed a canoe along. It came in handy when you shot a bull in a riverside pond area. Also, we'd take turns breaking camp and send 2 guys down river in the canoe while the other 2 broke camp. The canoe was quicker and quieter than the motor boat.

  3. #3
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    All depends on where you hunt. In some areas a skinny water fjording canoe or zodiac is magical. There are a few sloughs on the Yukon/Koyukuk it would come in handy.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  4. #4
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Buy a cheap raft, they are small and dont wiegh nothing. ( make sure that you take a pump with you, or you will be dizzy by the time you get it aired up.)

    Really tho 20-40 pounds in the boat can make a differance if you need to use it.

    If you just take a few hundred feet of small rope you can build your own raft out of logs.

    The guys that take canoe's probably have more room than most of us have. Although I did like the pictures of the canoe sleding the moose out.

    My 2 cents.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Grumman Sport boat comes with us everytime. Sometimes a Coleman plastic canoe that can be drug through the trees to the nearest lake or slough.

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    yeah me too , i drag that dang ATV with me every where i go...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Most of the time I use my 25 and 27 year old sons.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    Raft and ATV, sometimes a trailer for the ATV as well, all go in on one of the trips by boat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    For me it is a weight issue. I carried a canoe this year and it is a great tool but it takes up space and adds weight. It can help a lot it certain areas for hunting and packing. Once I get a little more horse power in the old tub I won't go without it.

    A buddy used to carry a little blow up job and when the water was low it came in handy as well.

  10. #10
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    We always bring a smaller boat. The big river sleds use to much gas to putter around back and forth to the tree stands.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •