Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: scout lake pike eradication

  1. #1
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default scout lake pike eradication

    SCOUT LAKE RESTORATION EFFORT SCHEDULED FOR
    OCTOBER 13

    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G), Division of Sport Fish, will be
    applying the naturally occurring piscicide rotenone to eradicate illegally introduced
    northern pike in Scout Lake near Sterling, Alaska.

    The rotenone application is scheduled for October 13, 2009; however, the application may be rescheduled if
    weather conditions are not favorable. The public access points to Scout Lake will be
    closed during the day of application. No public health effects from the use of rotenone
    in fisheries management have been reported, although consuming fish that have been
    exposed to the treatment is not recommended.

    Since 2005, ADF&G has addressed the northern pike issue at Scout Lake by
    discontinuing the stocking of rainbow trout and land-locked coho salmon, liberalizing
    bag limits for northern pike, and setting gill nets to reduce the northern pike
    population. These efforts have not removed all of the northern pike. ADF&G is trying
    to eradicate northern pike from Scout Lake so that stocking of trout and salmon can
    resume. This effort will also decrease the potential for introduction of northern pike
    into nearby waterbodies where invasive northern pike threaten wild fish stocks or have
    damaged existing fisheries for wild and hatchery fish stocks.

    Scout Lake will be monitored throughout winter and spring to assure that pike have been
    eradicated. If all pike have been successfully removed, rainbow trout or land-locked salmon
    could be stocked as early as 2010.

    For more information on this project please contact Robert Begich or Jason Pawluk (Soldotna
    ADF&G) at 262-9368 or Kristine Dunker (Anchorage) at 267-2889. More detailed information
    about invasive northern pike and rotenone is available online at:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State.../FA/pike.about
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  2. #2
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    There was a big pike caught out of Scout lake about 8 years ago.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  3. #3

    Talking

    And....the reason they stopped stocking wasn't because of the Pike. They simply did not have the stockers and still don't. SPIN SPIN SPIN

    I have to think they are not in touch with what the tourists want to catch. Big Pike or fingerling trout. ???
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    The pike aren't native, so that is their excuse. I'm not at all sure about what drainages are around there so it would be a shame to see pike get into the other waters and mess things up. But the winter pike derby here in the valley has messed up every bit of good road accessbile pike fishing for miles.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    maybe instead of erradicating pike from landlocked lakes they should use the money to heat water at the hatchery a little so the stoked fish aren't worthless
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    The pike aren't native, so that is their excuse.

    The trout aren't native to those lakes either. Couldn't they stock the lake with some sort of self sustaining population of suckers or whitefish for forage?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  7. #7

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    The trout aren't native to those lakes either. Couldn't they stock the lake with some sort of self sustaining population of suckers or whitefish for forage?
    shhhhhhhhh.....gotta keep the tourists believing.....that every pothole and ditch creek in Alaska is teaming with RAINBOW TROUT.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •