Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Moose carcass

  1. #1
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    459

    Default Moose carcass

    How long will a bear tend to come back to a moose carcass? We found a fully intact moose carcass last weekend while out scouting and a bear had been there and dug holes all around the area. Just wondering if it'd worth setting up a portable stand to this weekend and spend the day, or two, out there.

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Sounds like it is worth a look! I would get out and see how torn up it is from a distance. I can't imagine it being gone this quick. Good luck!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,036

    Thumbs up Go for it....

    I would. Seven days after my buddy shot a moose back in Sept., I went back up in there to retrieve something that I had intentionally left due to that we had no room left on the atv's. As I'm approaching, and only 35 yards from the carcass, I see something black walk out slowly and into the devils club. I'm figuring it to be a black bear, so as it walks by and I get my chance to see it better and size it up, I realize that it's not a black bear, but a black wolf, so natuarlly I drilled it with the 338. I went over to look at the carcass afterwards and the only thing there was a small section (roughly 8"-10") of spine. I couldn't see what was there worth eating. But everything else was GONE! I mean the head, the hide, the guts, and the rest of the spine were just gone. Piles and piles of bear crap all over the place and a few piles of wolf poop too, which wasn't there before the moose died. So yes, I'd sit on it if there's anything left there still to eat. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Carcasses can attract predators and scavengers for weeks if not months. I found a winter-killed moose a couple of springs ago that got worked for well over a month. I never lucked into finding the animals feeding on it, but it is certainly worth a try.

  5. #5
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default maybe too late, but try

    A few years ago a pilot friend of mine told me where a dead moose was and that a "small" bear was on it. So I headed to where he described and after a while found it. It was totally intact, but buried with tundra. I cut the horns off while my boy had my back. I looked at the tracks and they were BIG! 8 1/2" across, meaning close to a 9 1/2' bear. So we left and went back 4 days later to sit on it. THE ENTIRE MOOSE WAS GONE! We found 1 bone and that was it. The ground for 20 square yards was shredded. We still sat for a while, but all we saw was a fox. We even did a perimeter check to check for scraps, We didn't find anything.
    I hope you sit on it and whack a fatty.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    One of 'natures' best bait stations,
    I'd sit on it, or check it often as possible.
    Good luck.

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    A few years ago a pilot friend of mine told me where a dead moose was and that a "small" bear was on it. So I headed to where he described and after a while found it.

    It was totally intact, but buried with tundra. I cut the horns off while my boy had my back.
    Cutting the "horns off" is a definate NO NO. You might want to check with the Fish Cops on doing that. You aren't even suppose to possess them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Default What makes this illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Cutting the "horns off" is a definate NO NO. You might want to check with the Fish Cops on doing that. You aren't even suppose to possess them.
    Akres, could you supply some more info. on this. If I ran into this situation, I'd certainly take some photos of the kill site, etc. to help document what I found.
    I've know a number of folks who've found bear kills and took out the antlers or skulls. I once found a nice bull moose that had a bad day near the end of the season. Seems he chose to stand downwind of a large birch tree in an apparent windstorm. Tree fell on it and must have broke its neck, 'cause there weren't any hoof marks or kicking as the bull expired. I found it when it was very stinky and bloated. The antlers were wedged in the first large branch of the tree. Took some photos and I contacted FWP, and they didn't believe me at first. They later called and confirmed my suspicions of what killed the bull. They said that they didn't have a problem with me cutting out the antlers, and I was able to keep them.

  9. #9

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Akres, could you supply some more info. on this. If I ran into this situation, I'd certainly take some photos of the kill site, etc. to help document what I found.
    I've know a number of folks who've found bear kills and took out the antlers or skulls. I once found a nice bull moose that had a bad day near the end of the season. Seems he chose to stand downwind of a large birch tree in an apparent windstorm. Tree fell on it and must have broke its neck, 'cause there weren't any hoof marks or kicking as the bull expired. I found it when it was very stinky and bloated. The antlers were wedged in the first large branch of the tree. Took some photos and I contacted FWP, and they didn't believe me at first. They later called and confirmed my suspicions of what killed the bull. They said that they didn't have a problem with me cutting out the antlers, and I was able to keep them.
    Trap,
    The law is what makes it illegal. I am quite suprised to hear your story of FWP saying that. Well....no, in retrospect, I guess I am not suprised. Seems as though it is getting to be the norm now for each of us to have different experiences with them. I have even known folks that couln't keep the antlers from the road kills they cleaned up. Just goes to show us that there are some major inconsistencies in the way the laws are doled out to us. Some can/Some can't, go figure. I can't and won't attempt to explain the WHY of it.

    Question: What part of the state did this occur in and who was the FWP Officer? This might help shed some light on to the WHY of it, for others to consider in formulating their requests to do the same thing.

    BTW: It is legal to possess and even sell/barter/trade naturally shed antlers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Akres,
    It was Sept. '01 and the FWP guy was a Sgt. here on the Kenai Peninsula. I don't recall his name, but he was a decent person to deal with. At first he didn't belive me, thinking it might be a case of someone walking off from a sub-legal moose, just off the road. I told him that I at first thought the same thing, but there were no bullet holes or blood anywhere on the animal. And there was no physical way to wedge the moose's antlers in between the tree trunk and first branch, along with the ground not being disturbed in any way. He investigated and later called and said that I could harvest the antlers. Guess I got lucky in dealing with him.

  11. #11

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Akres,
    It was Sept. '01 and the FWP guy was a Sgt. here on the Kenai Peninsula. I don't recall his name, but he was a decent person to deal with. At first he didn't belive me, thinking it might be a case of someone walking off from a sub-legal moose, just off the road. I told him that I at first thought the same thing, but there were no bullet holes or blood anywhere on the animal. And there was no physical way to wedge the moose's antlers in between the tree trunk and first branch, along with the ground not being disturbed in any way. He investigated and later called and said that I could harvest the antlers. Guess I got lucky in dealing with him.
    Dang,
    I wish you had a name. Has anyone else besides Trapak gotten "lucky"?

    But its is good to hear that it is OK on the Kenai Penn. I am going to ask around a bit more and if I find more out, I'll post it up. What about it AKDoug, don't you have an "in" with one of the local FWP Officers? Goaty, was yours blessed as well by FWP, in the Delta Jct area? It would be interesting to learn what others experiences have been throughout the state.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default Akres?

    Where does it say that taking antlers from a naturaly killed animal is illegal? This actually happened when I lived in the Bristol Bay area, not Delta. So, you're saying that anytime you find a dead caribou or moose on the tundra you just have to leave the antlers there? I'm not so sure of that. Could you tell me where it says that? I can't tell you where my side of the argument is stated so I'd like to get it clarified. You can even take out sheep horns if you find them and get them plugged by F&G. I've talked to F&G about this but it's been about 10 years ago, so there might be some new regulation, but I can't find it anywhere.

  13. #13
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    If you come out with just a rack from a naturally killed animal, how does a FWS officer know you found it and didn't shoot it? If you shot it, it not only has to be a legal animal but you have to haul out the meat before the rack. Not to mention if you haul out a rack out of season. That's why sheds are okay. They are obviously sheds and not killed animals so there's no debate.

    I don't know for sure but I suspect it comes down to a FWS officer being able to know you didn't shoot it and haul out only a rack or shoot an illegal animal.

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    If you come out with just a rack from a naturally killed animal, how does a FWS officer know you found it and didn't shoot it? If you shot it, it not only has to be a legal animal but you have to haul out the meat before the rack. Not to mention if you haul out a rack out of season. That's why sheds are okay. They are obviously sheds and not killed animals so there's no debate.

    I don't know for sure but I suspect it comes down to a FWS officer being able to know you didn't shoot it and haul out only a rack or shoot an illegal animal.
    This may be true however it doesn't seem "right" to me. The job of the FWS officer is to prove that you killed it, you should be presumed innocent until proven guilty...

  15. #15
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    I wasn't trying to suggest that they will now say you poached it. It's the reason they make laws such as you can't possess antlers from naturally killed or road killed game. I don't know if that's the law up here but in many states it is. They have similar laws about possessing parts from migratory birds and raptors. They can't tell if you killed it so they implement laws stating you can't possess it. With a shed, there's no doubt about how you obtained it.

    Think of it this way. You can't possess stolen property. Why? At least in part because they can't tell if you stole it or not.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    It's not illegal to possess antlers or horns from found animals. If I'm wrong, Akres, please cite the actual law on here. I've picked up ram horns, a lynx skull, lots of antlers, and other such things while in the field. Other than picking up eagle feathers or parts from sea mammals, I'm not aware of any such prohibitions.

  17. #17
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    If you can't bring home horns, antlers, and skulls from dead animals you find I better run home and throw some out as should a bunch of people in Alaska and elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Member goaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Delta Jct.
    Posts
    307

    Default Thank you Brian,

    You can even pick up sea animal parts as long as you go to the feds and fill out a paper that shows you checked it in. I have a walrus skull I found, I took it in and we just filled out the short paper work. I would think it hard to beleive that most people on this forum who found a moose or caribou rack on the skull would just keep walking. (as long as it was in good shape and not a killer pack out) So what's the difference between finding one with flesh still on it and one that is old and cracked. I understand the poaching protection view, but there is nothing about it in the regs. What it does say in the regs is that you cannot sell or barter antlers unless they are sheds OR removed from any part of the skull. You can still buy and sell them as long as you cut them off the skull.

  19. #19

    Thumbs up

    The regs have been re-worded. It's OK now.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Brian,

    This is true, all you do is take it in (like the raw baleen we found) and they issue you a number for the items you picked up.


    Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    You can even pick up sea animal parts as long as you go to the feds and fill out a paper that shows you checked it in. I have a walrus skull I found, I took it in and we just filled out the short paper work. I would think it hard to beleive that most people on this forum who found a moose or caribou rack on the skull would just keep walking. (as long as it was in good shape and not a killer pack out) So what's the difference between finding one with flesh still on it and one that is old and cracked. I understand the poaching protection view, but there is nothing about it in the regs. What it does say in the regs is that you cannot sell or barter antlers unless they are sheds OR removed from any part of the skull. You can still buy and sell them as long as you cut them off the skull.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •