Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry

Default Conceal Carry

Starting next week my daughter will be living in Anchorage this year. And she wants to CC. I would like her to know where she can't carry so she doesn't get into any legal issues.

She is contemplating going through the CCW class but has not made that decision yet.

Thanks

General rules of thumb: No places that make their primary income by selling and serving alcohol on the property (bars/nightclubs), no federal buildings (Post Office/USGS/Military/Court House etc.), no public schools (not sure on the UAF campus), or in any building that specifically restricts or prohibits the practice, usually by posting a sign at the entrance.

I'll see if I can find the legal references here after I finish a bit of work.

What about the Anchorage muni itself, any problems with the LEO's?

Default Check the Source

Go directly to the source to avoid misinformation. Here is a link to the Alaska Department of Public Safety (Troopers) CC site. http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx

There are links on there to give you just about all the information you will need.

Thanks Diesel & Skier.

Thumbs up CCW class, yes

That class will quite likely teach her things that are invaluable to know when conceal carrying; that's why there is such a class; it isn't for them just to raise money.

Since you mention she's considering it already, then the possibility that she'd learn something really important from it rises to just about 100%. Do strongly recommend your daughter take it, or maybe offer to pay for it yourself, I'd suggest.

Who does a CCW class? I,d like to send my wife and daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That class will quite likely teach her things that are invaluable to know when conceal carrying; that's why there is such a class; it isn't for them just to raise money.

Since you mention she's considering it already, then the possibility that she'd learn something really important from it rises to just about 100%. Do strongly recommend your daughter take it, or maybe offer to pay for it yourself, I'd suggest.
    I have strongly recommened it, and the issue isn't the $ but how to schedule it. She is in her masters program at UAA and finding the time is her problem.

I believe Alaska Tactical on Muldoon teaches a concealed carry class as well as other firearms classes.

I know the Mat Valley Sprortsman's Range in Palmer does them. I think they have one on the 24th of this month. http://www.mvsrange.com/index.htm

I have taken an AK Tactical class, Defensive Handgun I. Good class, learned several things. http://www.alaskatactical.com/

Sorry it took so long

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/.../Chapter61.htm

You'll want to pay attention to sections 190 through 230. They'll give you the details pertaining to weapons offenses within Alaska State law.

As far as the course, I strongly recommend it. My wife wasn't required to take it for her Colorado permit based upon her military training however, I talked her into it and she learned a great deal about the psychological part of carrying a weapon for defense of self and others. I'm of the mindset that good instruction, even if it's material with which we're familiar, is never a waste of time as nobody knows everything about anything, and there's a chance we'll learn something new and useful. Hell; it might actually save someone's life.

Alaska Tactical is the way to go. Extremely professional training option for residents of Alaska. I would gladly travel down from Fairbanks to take courses from them.

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Nope. It's called preemption and Mayor Wonder Boy got smacked down on it when he tried to pull the non-existent home rule card of of his arse and go against it.
    Now what ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

and if she is to partake a night on the town as youngsters do...

That CC, can get her in a lot of trouble if detained under the influence of ANY substance.. make sure she leaves it home if there would be ANY chance.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Alaska Tactical is the way to go. Extremely professional training option for residents of Alaska. I would gladly travel down from Fairbanks to take courses from them.

Jeremiah
    338-3458

Yeah, Steve McDaniel is the Master Yoda of handgunnery here in AK.
    Now what ?

Default CC

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Sorry it took so long

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/.../Chapter61.htm

You'll want to pay attention to sections 190 through 230. They'll give you the details pertaining to weapons offenses within Alaska State law.

As far as the course, I strongly recommend it. My wife wasn't required to take it for her Colorado permit based upon her military training however, I talked her into it and she learned a great deal about the psychological part of carrying a weapon for defense of self and others. I'm of the mindset that good instruction, even if it's material with which we're familiar, is never a waste of time as nobody knows everything about anything, and there's a chance we'll learn something new and useful. Hell; it might actually save someone's life.
    Hi! in ALASKA NO CC PERMIT IS REQUIRED.

Daughter picked up a Ruger SS SP101 .357 with Crimson Trace today. She's quite thrilled. She is going to take the class in January.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default class

I carried a .45 as an MP in the USMC (Jan 1983-Dec1987). I wanted a concelled carry when all the anti Native paint ball shootings were going on and went to a class and carried but with a totally different attitude. I didnt want any action. It was a very good class.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I agree that on the surface the where can I carry seems to be the biggest deal. The one course I have gone through was not handgun specific but rather a course teaching the military new arrivals at MacDill AFB the basic streets smarts for Tampa Fl. The biggest thing I got was an understanding of my rights and where, when, and how I was lawfully allowed to protect myself. It makes you much more at ease w/ the idea of being armed if you know all the rules AND how to talk to the authorities if you ever have to defend yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast