Thread: moving to Juneau w 1 ton diesel truck

Default moving to Juneau w 1 ton diesel truck

I will be moving to Juneau this January and am wondering if bringing my 08 dodge ram 3500 with 6.7 liter Cummins diesel is a good idea given the limited amount of road miles that can be driven. Worried that the engine will never really warm up. Any thoughts?

I have an 07 5.9L I plan to either bring to Kodiak or Juneau. From what I hear, it should be fine if you have the heater installed.

Better off to have a small four wheel drive that get good gas mileage. Unless you are in construction or firewood hauling there is no need for that big a rig.Seventy mile south in Wrangell Diesel is almost five bucks a gallon.JMHO

thanx amigo will. i will likely be hauling firewood. And I've had my share ofsmall-mid-size pickups (toyotas and dakotas). I now have a wife, two kids, and a dog so if I were to replace it I'd get a full size gasser....which would get worse fuel mileage than the diesel. Diesel in Juneau right now is about $3/gal...the same as petro.
    I am mostly concerned with the diesel lasting....never really getting warmed up with so few miles to drive. And the 6.7 Cummins has a soot filter in the exhaust which requires it to reach a certain temp for a certain amount of time to burn the soot off.

Dang we are 3.69 reg and 4.55 supreme and I believe 4.89 diesel just a island or two south,go figure. As for not heating up I would guess exhaust rust will be the biggest problem.