Thread: Floating the middle Kenai

Default Floating the middle Kenai

Hey I'm new to the thread and I was wondering how long does it take to float and fish from the outlet of Skilak to Dot's or Bing's. Never floated this section of river. How's the fishing been??

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Hey I'm new to the thread and I was wondering how long does it take to float and fish from the outlet of Skilak to Dot's or Bing's. Never floated this section of river. How's the fishing been??
    I haven't fished it in a few weeks ~ will be checking it out over the next coupla days.

The float time is dependent on a number of factors... do you have a motor? Do you plan on working it super hard or making a casual float?

I've fished it from Lower Skilak to Bing's in as little as 6 hours and as much as 11-12. It all depends on whether or not you plan on hitting the gravel bars hard and reworking different sections of the river.

Good luck and give us an update when you hit it.

Floated it yesterday. We put in at skilak and had to walk the boat around the lake because of the white caps were to much to handle. We started around 11 and got to bings around 630. We only stopped at a few holes. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    Floated it yesterday. We put in at skilak and had to walk the boat around the lake because of the white caps were to much to handle. We started around 11 and got to bings around 630. We only stopped at a few holes. hope this helps.
    How was the fishing??? Was it packed? Hopefully it was a successful trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    How was the fishing??? Was it packed? Hopefully it was a successful trip!

Fishing was dead. We only saw three other boats. We got two silvers on flesh flys though. It you go out might consider going for silvers.

Watch out for bears in the evening. There were 14 last night. To include a sow with 4 cubs.