Thread: Kodiak Drop off Hunt info.

Default Kodiak Drop off Hunt info.

Looking for anyone that does Boat Drop Off hunts. Last time I went to the Island we went through Penn. I hear they do not have the Goose or Wiegon anymore. Think the use of a boat and not worry about weight limits is better option. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Contact SeaHawk air in Kodiak. But arent you planning the trip for this year a little late? Sign up for Boondocks Big Buck contest and I think you get 10% off the air charter
    Tennessee

Default options

Seahawk will haul 1500 lbs in the beaver.
    Not sure if Andrew's beaver is operational at this time, but they would also take 1500.
    Harvey's Flying Service (right at the airport) is still operating a widgeon. I don't recall how much the widgeon is rated for, but it should be enough.

try scott phelps outa port lions, the ferry goes right there, he's a great guy has a nice boat and last i talked with him he does a few drops.
    some guys don't do it much anymore cause of the price of fuel, for you to just get away from the road system its gonna cost you several grand, you can fly a beaver outa andrews for 590 per hour and haul 1200lbs, if you've got two or three guys that outa work out just fine and you can access alot more places.

I always start planning my hunts a year out. This hunt is for next year. thanks for the info, hope I can return the favor. Jeff

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I offer transports which include lodging in a nice place with all the cushy anemities, we go out in the and when your ready for a pick up you call me via VHF radio, sometime we fish on our way back to the lodge or you might want to try your luck on our varity of seaducks, go to www.kodiakcombos.com and check out my references. Another guy here in Old Harbor, on Kodiak doe the liveaboard with a commercial seiner, he is also very good with a steady flow of repeat guests.

kodiakcombo, i forgot thats what you do! you fill up on does down there yet?

no filling up quit yet, blowing and rain and a meeting have me wondering what the heck I'm doing, cant believe all the dialog on transporters vs guides? I need to focus on this and get "our" people involved.

Default Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    try scott phelps outa port lions, the ferry goes right there, he's a great guy has a nice boat and last i talked with him he does a few drops.
    some guys don't do it much anymore cause of the price of fuel, for you to just get away from the road system its gonna cost you several grand, you can fly a beaver outa andrews for 590 per hour and haul 1200lbs, if you've got two or three guys that outa work out just fine and you can access alot more places.
    I agree, scott phelps is a great guy, he took me to rasberry island a couple of years ago, He also guides sea ducks and halibut. Very reasonably priced. I recommend him, I believe his charter service is called Kodiak Island sports tours.

scott operates mostly the north side of the island as my understanding goes, not even sure if he still charters or not, i know we talked about how high his costs were now. but you can give him a try
    kodiakcombo, ya lotta fat to be chewed with all these new regs they are trying to push/pass and sort out. not sure if i'd call it transporter VS guides, seems a little more like guides/transporters vs everyone else. on some issues anyway.

thats right brwnbr, do have any info on meeting or proposals?

man i had an email about all the proposals i think meeting is dec 12th or something like that. i'll see if i can find the info.

kodiakcombo's i think this is the link to all the proposals and the meeting is the 12th at the egan center.
    http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pub/GUI1106.pdf

great I'll try and make that one, the weather is holding us here, we were to testify at the fisheries meeting in Anc.

Default Prices for Kodiakcombo

BIG GAME TRANSPORT PACKAGE
    Out of Old Harbor eastside of Kodiak Island. Includes meals, lodgiing, and boat transportation.
    7 DAYS $ 4950.00

Is this price per person?

Gooch

Yes per person, and it includes all the fishing gear, decoys, etc...on top of your transport out and pickup to and from the lodge where all your meals are provided. Hot showers, private bath, its pretty cushy, some specials are applicaple if you have more in a group or if your a father and have kids that your trying to show a good time by bringing em over for a Kodiakcombo.

Default Wow!

I thought that may be for thew whole cabin and boat. I looked at your website and it looks fun but that is way out of my (most folks) price range (my broke group of buddies could skew my perception). Just got back from a cabin w/boat deer hunt to Afognak cost $695 per person for the week including game processing and shipping. Everything but the shower!

As a marketing person by trade, you ought to add the lodging to your website for folks to look at. Just a thought, good luck the rest of the season.

Gooch

Default Kodiak Blacktail Transporter

Try Mike Coates at AlaskaExcursions. He's a great guy with a very comfortable boat.

http://alaskaexcursion.com/blacktail.htm

Thumbs up

My buddy and I have went out with Mike Coates for a week of deer hunting on his boat .
    It was the best deer hunt I have ever been on .
    He catered to us like we were Kings while we were on the boat .
    I have never ate so good on a hunt trip !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Gooch

Hey Gooch e-mail me and let me know who you went through for that price! I've looked every where for a good deal and the only thing I've come across is driving from Anchorage down to Homer and taking the ferry to Kodiak and thats about as far as the good deal has taken me. I've even thought about renting a boat from Ft. Rich and going that route but the price for the extra length on the ferry would still be pretty steep. Also thought about renting a boat down in Kodiak but I'm not quiet sure if I would be able to.